Thread: How to migrate running oracle virtualbox vm's to LXD guests - export them as raw?

Beans

Lightbulb How to migrate running oracle virtualbox vm's to LXD guests - export them as raw?

Thinking about to run virtual maschines on LXD as LXD guests instead on virtualbox installed on this ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS server:

How to migrate existing vm's? Simply export as OVA and and import them? Maybe OVA converting required?

First going to install LXD like this: https://www.ubuntu.com/containers/lxd

Then going to get existing Virtualbox vm's up and startet with LXD instead of starting them with VirtualBox.

LXD seems me more performant to this constellation because LXD is native or bare-metal hypervisor and VirtualBox ist hosted hypervisor.

Any performace comparison benchmarks to look to?

How to get existing virtualbox vms to raw format, like described here: https://stgraber.org/2012/03/04/boot...lxc-container/

On server with virtualbox are currently running two vm´s: One more ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS server and one Microsoft Windows 2012 R2 server with Microsoft SQL 2014 Express for SAP Business One.

Anyone who done this and has experience with this "performance tuning" and may give me hints, tipps and tricks in advance?

DL

Beans

Re: How to migrate running oracle virtualbox vm's to LXD guests - export them as raw?

Can I convert my existing vmdk with help of this: https://docs.openstack.org/image-gui...rt-images.html to raw and is this raw then a lxd compatible image file or not? Or do I need to convert to an other format? Do I need a other tool to convert existing vmdk files to be lxd compatible?DL

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: How to migrate running oracle virtualbox vm's to LXD guests - export them as raw?

Thread moved to Virtualisation as the more appropriate forum.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Windows won't run under LXD. It isn't a hypervisor.

Beans

LXD v3.0.x has been released
    (about 2 months ago) and with it came a new tool lxd-p2c.

lxd-p2c can import the filesystem of a physical machine -or- a VM to an LXD container for you.

See below...
    Physical to container migration with lxd-p2c

A new tool called lxd-p2c makes it possible to import a system’s filesystem into a LXD container using the LXD API.
    After building a copy of the tool, the resulting binary can be transferred to any system that you want to turn into a container.
    Point it to a remote LXD server and the entire system’s filesystem will be transferred over the LXD migration API and a new container be created.

The main contributor for this feature, Stéphane Graber (LXD/LXC project lead), gave a presentation about it at FOSDEM 2018, the video is available here: youtube.com/watch?v=JKztAWZOj9g
    Last edited by bmullan2; May 7th, 2018 at 10:02 PM. Reason: added link to LXD forum msg about LXD 3.0 release