Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: After the last update (kernel 4.13.0-26)crashed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: After the last update (kernel 4.13.0-26)crashed

Basically you followed pilot6's advice and what happened is exactly what pilot6 said would happen.
    Ubuntu 16.04 can install two different kernel series 4.4 or a rolling kernel
    (originally the rolling kernel was 4.8, then upgraded to 4.10 and now is at 4.13; in the future it will be 4.15)
    The first kernel (4.4) is from the original kernel series used in 16.04.
    The second (the rolling) is part of the hwe or hardware stack enablement.
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack

When you removed the 4.13 kernel packages, that removed the hwe version of the linux-generic packages.
    So when you reinstalled the linux-generic package you actually installed a different linux-generic package than what was installed.
    So instead of bringing in the 4.13 kernels, it now brings in the 4.4 kernels.

Fret not, because the 4.4 kernel can be booted into and this can be fixed.
    But to do so you need to do it manually at startup.

When you startup the machine during boot up, the machine should show the BIOS screen (it usually tells you what machine it is; It might be Dell or a Lenovo, or if generic it might say Intel or AMD)
    But whatever it says what you need to do wait for that screen to disappear and then hit either the Shift key or the ESC key.
    You need to hit the key immediately when that BIOS screen goes blank, and you might need to do some quick tapping of the key so you don''t miss the window that needs open

When successful, you will get the Ubuntu boot menu (grub)
    In here what you'll do is go down to the second line marked as Advanced Options.
    Click on this and go down to the first option that shows a 4.4 kernel
    (It should say something like "Ubuntu, with linux 4.4.0-122-generic (on /dev/sdX)" since 4.4.0-122 is the latest 4.4 kernel you have.)
    Now yo can just select and you'll boot into that 4.4 kernel.

Now, what you can do is test it out and see how well it works for you.
    If it works well enough for you then you can just keep running the 4.4 kernels
    and remove the 4.10 kernel packages you have installed.
    Once you remove those, then the system will boot into the 4.4 kernels on their own,since they would be the only kernels.

And if it doesn't perform as you would like, you can try and reinstall the hwe packages and get back to the 4.13 kernels again and see if those work.

But I would test the 4.4 kernels first before doing anything else.

Hope it makes sense and gets you going in a workable way.
    Good luck.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Re: After the last update (kernel 4.13.0-26)crashed

@deadflowr,sorry,as I said I'm not an expert,so I have some doubts:

When I had problems with the kernel 4.13.0-26 I deleted it and I typed:

Code:
    sudo apt install linux-generic
    Pilot6 said:

That will install the latest kernel and kernels will be upgraded
    But, I didn't have upgrades,why? maybe for the bug described in my post #7? or,what else?

Now,I'm working fine with kernel 4.10.0-42,that was the kernel before the malfunctioning 4.13.0-26, so I chose that one.

When you said:

So when you reinstalled the linux-generic package you actually installed a different linux-generic package than what was installed
    Do you refer to the 4.10.0-42? because I don't understand why I have to delete it.

I tried kernel 4.4.0-122 and it seems to work fine.

If I also delete kernel 4.10.0-42, what advantages can I have?

Thank you
    Last edited by ubu112; May 3rd, 2018 at 01:41 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12