Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 18.04 alpha1: Gnome-shell Applications Menu extension broken

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

18.04 alpha1: Gnome-shell Applications Menu extension broken

After completing my fresh install of Ubuntu 18.04 alpha1 I installed some of my favourite Gnome-shell extensions. The "Applications Menu" extension is currently broken.

Kind regards,

Curt

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: 18.04 alpha1: Gnome-shell Applications Menu extension broken

How did you install Ubuntu?

Ubuntu installs gir1.2-gmenu-3.0 by default (it's a Recommends from ubuntu-desktop) which is required for that GNOME Shell extension to work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I installed Ubuntu 18.04 from a bionic-desktop-amd64 ISO downloaded Jan 12. I have verified gir1.2-gmenu-3.0 is installed. The Gnome Applications Menu extension was installed from https://extensions.gnome.org/extensi...ications-menu/ and worked correctly in 16.10, 17.04, & 17.10.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I have not met your issue on a fresh install: first i have installed the prefered gnome-shell-extension-* from the bionic archive, then i have added some others (not the same indeed) from the gnome extension url. What you need then, is to install gnome-tweak and set your wishes. Have you done them ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Well, I installed gnome-tweak-tool and verified the Applications Menu extension was installed, but when you click on it nothing happens.

Looking in Synaptic, I found the gnome-shell-extensions package an installed it. This does provide a working Applications menu, but it has some side effects:
    • Includes a bottom bar in addition to the top bar, which interferes with Ubuntu Dock at the bottom of the screen (fortunately the dock is on top).
    • Top and bottom bars don't respect the Global Dark Theme and use black text on a bright background.
    • There do not appear to be any configuration controls for this top and bottom bar.

Best regards,

Curt

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

For now, I have switched from 'Ubuntu dock' back to 'Dash to dock' so I can move the dock from the bottom of the screen back to the left edge, as this appears to be the "standard" location for the dock when using gnome-shell-extensions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

For now, I have switched from 'Ubuntu dock' back to 'Dash to dock' so I can move the dock from the bottom of the screen back to the left edge, as this appears to be the "standard" location for the dock when using gnome-shell-extensions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

the 'Window list' extension included in gnome-shell-extensions is supposed to turn off the bottom bar, but this is not working.

I tried installing gnome-themes-standard and selecting the Adwaita-dark theme, but the top & bottom bars from gnome-shell-extensions are still black foreground and white background.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Myself i prefer dash-to-dock over the ubuntu-dock. The bottom bar is an option, so set it off, voila.
    And note that now your '/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions/' subdir should be empty to stop disturbing the system with different settings (that is the old path, now depreceted but still used when installing from the url).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

gnome-shell-extension-taskbar is also broken (nothing happens when I click on "Applications").
    Last edited by ping-wu; January 21st, 2018 at 08:57 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast