Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Restore deleted home directory

Beans

Re: Restore deleted home directory

Moderator has combined two my posts, but they were addressed to two different people. So deleted the text from this post and placed two posts
    Last edited by ozramsay; January 13th, 2018 at 06:28 PM. Reason: posts combined.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by raleigh3 View Post
    Other than losing some files in your home dir, are there any other problems like programs no longer working?

Did you delete only files or were some dirs deleted?

If you do have to reinstall, I would do the following first.

1. Backup files you want to keep to another drive or pen drive
    2. This will show you all packages you have installed. apt list --installed > Packages.txt

After the reinstall and after you have everything as you like, run Clonezilla and save to another drive.etc.

Good luck.

I deleted almost everything in the home directory, including hidden file. Programmes seem to be working (excluding Anaconda and Dropbox which were installed there).

Yet, the settings are gone, so I re-installed the system.

This time I installed apps in /opt/app_name folder. Which is the right way to give the apps permission to use these folders?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Holger_Gehrke View Post
    Removing a partition only changes the partition table, not the contents of the partitions. Erasing a file actually removes the name, decrements the reference counter in the inode, marks the inode as free if the counter has reached 0 and adds the blocks the inode referenced to the list of free blocks. So the best photorec or similar programs can do is look at free inodes which have a list of blocks that are all in the free block list and copy these blocks to some other file system with a new name.

Holger
    Yes, now I see. Thank you.

I reinstalled the system and placed some files into the /opt/app_name folder. Which is the right way to give the app permission to use its folder?

Beans

OK, I have not restored the files, yet I have received all the needed information. Thanks for every participant in this thread!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12