Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with using Ubuntu to access my laptops failed hard drive

Beans

Re: Help with using Ubuntu to access my laptops failed hard drive

Quote Originally Posted by 1clue View Post
    It's a bootable Linux cd much like the Ubuntu live CD, but rather than experiencing a demo of Ubuntu you get tools specifically for rescuing a broken computer.

It's not Ubuntu, it's actually based on Gentoo but that doesn't really matter. It focuses on drivers for pretty much anything, and on repairing disks and recovering data.

If you only have one computer you should always have a copy of this either burned to CD/DVD, or to a USB stick if your computer boots this way. If you have more than one computer and can burn a cd/dvd on either, or usb stick, then you can always get the latest copy.
    okay I read through the walkthrough (http://www.system-rescue-cd.org/manu...dows_computer/ ) and seems easy enough, I’m just not sure what to do when it comes to part 3 on that page, the actual backup, it shows how to do it via a network and onto another computer, but I was hoping to back up the files on to my extra hard drive, would I just plug in my external and have to type a certain command?
    I will burn this program to a cd later when I am able to (my mom has a computer that I can use) and try this.
    thanks again for your help this far, I really appreciate it

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    You may also find that it is not easy to moujnt your Windows ntfs partitions using a live Linux repair system as I think the default for Windows 8 was to use the same hibernation system as Windows 10 does.

This may mean that when you click on that volume icon in the file manager to mount the partition, you see errors about the partition still being in use.

If you do see those errors try using commands
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /media/windrive
    sudo mount -o ro /dev/sda4 /media/windrive
    as the command line allows you to add the ro option for read-only, which the file manager does not.
    Good to know, thanks,
    will try this later

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Impavidus View Post
    You have a number of partitions on that hard drive. The Windows data is in a 978GB partition that is known to Ubuntu as /dev/sda4. You can open your file manager. At the left it should show a list of devices, including one marked as a 978GB partition. The size may be a bit off because of confusion between gigabytes and gibibytes. It may also have a label. Click on that device and it should get mounted, that is, attached to the file system, somewhere in /media. The file manager then brings you there.

Mounting of the file system may fail, for example, when the file system isn't clean. You can then try via the terminal:
    Code:
    sudo mount -t ntfs -o ro /dev/sda4 /mnt
    That should make the files available read-only at /mnt, where you can find them using the file manager. If that fails too, there's so much file system damage that you first need some repair. Ubuntu is not very good at repairing Windows file systems.

When I went into “disks” I found the 978gb section (I’m assuming the self test failure is not a good sign)
    6B53C80A-27C9-489B-ADA3-78309928C90C.jpg

I tried to mount it from there, and I got an error (picture attached? I think)

then an I tired the terminal with the commands you gave and the ones Ajgreeny gave and I got the same errors (picture attached hopefully)

i dont know where where to go from here, is my drive that damaged? Is there anything else to try?
    would this (https://www.quora.com/How-do-I-mount...mode-in-Ubuntu)be some thing to try or would it not matter since my drive seems to be damaged?

I see see someone else had a similar problem (https://askubuntu.com/questions/5006...nal-hard-drive), and there seems to be some solutions, but they are a bit over my head

I also purchased from amazon a kit to hook up my laptop’s hard drive to another computer, does that sound like that might work?

Let me know if you have any suggestions
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 1clue View Post
    It's a bootable Linux cd much like the Ubuntu live CD, but rather than experiencing a demo of Ubuntu you get tools specifically for rescuing a broken computer.

It's not Ubuntu, it's actually based on Gentoo but that doesn't really matter. It focuses on drivers for pretty much anything, and on repairing disks and recovering data.

If you only have one computer you should always have a copy of this either burned to CD/DVD, or to a USB stick if your computer boots this way. If you have more than one computer and can burn a cd/dvd on either, or usb stick, then you can always get the latest copy.
    I downloaded it and burned it to a disk, but it won’t run/open on my computer
    I did the same steps like i did the Ubuntu disk, and that one works fine, it I tried 4 times shutting off my computer and turning it on again, and the bios settings has the CD to boot first, the disk spins then stops and nothing happens
    the file is SystemRescueCd-x86-5.1.2 (if that helps at all)
    Last edited by rickytherockstar; January 13th, 2018 at 04:05 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rickytherockstar View Post
    okay I read through the walkthrough (http://www.system-rescue-cd.org/manu...dows_computer/ ) and seems easy enough, I’m just not sure what to do when it comes to part 3 on that page, the actual backup, it shows how to do it via a network and onto another computer, but I was hoping to back up the files on to my extra hard drive, would I just plug in my external and have to type a certain command?
    I will burn this program to a cd later when I am able to (my mom has a computer that I can use) and try this.
    thanks again for your help this far, I really appreciate it
    Just copy the files using the Linux command line or, if you boot into a GUI, you could copy using the GUI file browser. For example,
    Code:
    cp -rax /mnt/brokendrive/path/to/my/dir /mnt/newdrive/path/to/my/dir
    Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    You may also find that it is not easy to moujnt your Windows ntfs partitions using a live Linux repair system as I think the default for Windows 8 was to use the same hibernation system as Windows 10 does.

This may mean that when you click on that volume icon in the file manager to mount the partition, you see errors about the partition still being in use.

If you do see those errors try using commands
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /media/windrive
    sudo mount -o ro /dev/sda4 /media/windrive
    as the command line allows you to add the ro option for read-only, which the file manager does not.
    It's been some years since I had a system with under 16g RAM, but I believe system rescue CD won't swapon until you tell it to. Which means that the swap partitions won't be in use. I think.
    Help stamp out MBR partition tables. Use GPT instead!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by rickytherockstar View Post
    When I went into “disks” I found the 978gb section (I’m assuming the self test failure is not a good sign)

I tried to mount it from there, and I got an error (picture attached? I think)

then an I tired the terminal with the commands you gave and the ones Ajgreeny gave and I got the same errors (picture attached hopefully)

i dont know where where to go from here, is my drive that damaged? Is there anything else to try?
    would this (https://www.quora.com/How-do-I-mount...mode-in-Ubuntu)be some thing to try or would it not matter since my drive seems to be damaged?

I see see someone else had a similar problem (https://askubuntu.com/questions/5006...nal-hard-drive), and there seems to be some solutions, but they are a bit over my head

I also purchased from amazon a kit to hook up my laptop’s hard drive to another computer, does that sound like that might work?

Let me know if you have any suggestions
    Not looking good...

You already tried to mount it read-only and it failed.

I suggest you image your hard drive (also known as cloning), or at least your /dev/sda4 partition, which contains all your documents. You can use Ubuntu to clone it to an external drive. Then try to recover files from that clone. As it's a Windows file system, Windows tools may be more effective. I've never done such things myself, on the one hand because I've been lucky to encounter very few broken drives, on the other hand because I keep backups of all important stuff.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DataRecovery

Beans

So I took the advice to clone it, the way with Ubuntu from the page that was linked confused me a bit, so I googled to maybe find a simpler way, I found this forum (https://www.sevenforums.com/general-...ecovery-3.html) and the directions on the first few pages seemed easy enough, and I saw it was using SystemRescueCd, since it wouldn’t load with a cd I tried it on a usb like the forum posts suggested, after burning it onto a usb it still wouldn’t open.
    so after some more googling, I figured out that I needed to go to system configuration and turn “legacy support” on, once I did and restarted the usb finally loaded and I finally was able to use the SystemRescueCd.
    i hooked up my external hard drive, entered the first command: fdisk -l
    and it showed my hard drive (with a different, smaller, gig number, but I think that’s normal? Or fine? Or did I loose some data?), showed my usb and my external, so I entered the next command: Ddrescue -d -f -r3 /dev/sda /dev/sdc recovery.log and now it’s doing its thing

So I guess I just leave this running till it says it’s done or something? Which could take hours or days?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

So the test finished,
    C0577501-BE9F-4DF5-AFB8-C3A7A739B1A6.jpg

can anyone help me with what to do next?
    can I just shut down this computer and remove the external hard drive that I cloned to? Or do I need to input a command before turning off this computer?

and then what would come next, would I hook the external hard drive that i cloned to to a working computer and run some recovery software?

Beans

Just an update, it looks like the cloning worked, I haven’t checked everything, but it looks like I got all my files back, well the important files I was really looking to get back are all back.
    so thanks everyone for your input and suggestions, they were very appreciated

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12