Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NFS Mounting, what am I dong wrong

Beans

Re: NFS Mounting, what am I dong wrong

Quote Originally Posted by wyliecoyoteuk View Post
    I vaguely remember that .NFS links are treated like local drives, i.e. They need to mounted and unmounted safely, not just disconnected.
    So NFS which is native to Unix file system is sensitive and needs to be mounted and unmounted safely but when using NFS via windows where samba is native you can be rough with it?

I mapped my server folders to my work windows 7 pc. Took 20 seconds to do it. Did it over 2 years ago. Never EVER have I had to remap or run into server unavailable.

For what I am trying to achieve, Linux is just Garbage.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I think that is because what you are trying to do is not what NFS is meant for.
    NFS is a true network filesystem, not a file sharing protocol.
    Which means that it functions like local storage.
    It is nothing like SMB.

Beans

I am just trying to get it working like it does on my windows pc work computer. Apparently this is impossible in Linux.

Decisions decisions. To stick with the slow SMB in Linux or move back to windows? A deal breaker when continually working on and off the serve with very large files.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Apparently, Windows NFS mounts are soft mounts by default, whereas in Linux, the default is a hard mount.
    There are disadvantages to both.
    This discussion might be of interest:

https://www.centos.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8787

The reason SMB is slower is because it involves a caching overhead.
    The sig between the asterisks is SO COOL that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

Beans

Thanks I read that.
    I cant find the way to do a soft mount in linux?

Beans

Is it time to ditch Linux?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Might be. That's entirely up to you.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Done.

All other devices in the house whether they are a mac, windows or android easily connect to my QNAP. It's fast, reliable and exactly how it should be. All take 30 seconds to map. With Linux that is impossible and ridiculously wants to download a copy first. Yeah right! I consistently deal with large files and I am truly out of patience.

Look at the original posting of this thread, I have given it a good go. I have been fairly patient and at it not for hours, day or weeks, but months. They said "try linux", there's plenty of help out there. But not one person can assist with this.

Tell me good riddance, but the fact is the "experts" don't know the answer or it would have been offered. So I think the Linux community thing is just a myth. Thousands of web-pages all to no solution.....

Like I said, in other OS it just works and instantly. While some things are great with Linux and better in some ways than other OS's, it just doesn't work for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Glad you have it working by whatever means, it is always best to use what works for your needs! We are not experts we are normal users that share our knowledge voluntarily.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Not hard to find:
    https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledg...shsmounts.html

if you are prepared to put up with silent data loss, carry on using NFS with soft mounts..
    NFS was developed by Sun for constantly connected workstations as a distributed filesystem.
    A different scenario to SMB. which is designed for file sharing between unreliable (at the time it was written, very unreliable!) windows systems. Hence the additional overhead of file caching and oplocks etc.
    Personally, I rarely use either on Linux.
    The sig between the asterisks is SO COOL that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast