Thread: freeze and kernel panic (caps lock flashing)

Beans

freeze and kernel panic (caps lock flashing)

hi
    I installed ubuntu 16.04 on my laptop a month ago, and about two weeks in, my computer first froze and caps lock started blinking. Since then, it has happened at least 5 times, each with shortening intervals. Each time I had to shut down using the power button.

The freeze happens randomly-did not happen under heavy use (Happened when using only browser, while everything was fine when playing a cpu heavy game), hasn't happened during boot yet. In windows would get BSOD once in a while (every six months, maybe?), but other than that nothing indicated hardware failure.

Here are the things I've tried:
    - Waiting. 8 hours did nothing.
    - Updating Kernel (was up to date).
    - Updating graphic card driver.
    - Every single thing here: Ubuntu 15.10 and 16.04 keep freezing randomly

Some more relevant information:
    I have an external wireless adapter (TL-WN7200ND) because my internal one is almost dead (it is disabled).
    When frozen, does not react to Alt+SysRq+REISUB, alt+sysrq+F, ctrl+Alt+F1, ctrl+Alt+delete

System and computer info:
    Ubuntu 16.04 LTS,
    Asus laptop N550JV (4.5 years old),
    Nvidia Geforce 750M with proprietary driver,
    Intel i7-4700HQ CPU 2.4Hz

syslog: https://pastebin.com/wmAUQtvn crash happened at 17:38:34

From askubuntu got the following answer:
    The log indicates faults with two USB devices. You may wish to move this question to ubuntuforums.org, where gurus can take the time one-on-one to help you probe the problem further. At the moment, looks like freeze-caused-by-defective-hardware...which is indeed what most freezes are caused by. The Q&A format of AskUbuntu means that future users are unlikely to be helped by the question.

edit:
    Kernel panicked again. On waking from sleep, as the external wi-fi adapter was turning on.
    syslog for second crash:
    https://pastebin.com/QnbadsU1 crash happened at 9:05:21.

After the crash, I turned computer on and the wi-fi adapter turned on fine.
    Could anybody tell me if there is a fix? it was a fairly expensive adapter and it's new..

Thank you.
    Last edited by eli.; January 11th, 2018 at 08:24 AM. Reason: additional info

Beans

Re: freeze and kernel panic (caps lock flashing)

Bump
    Last edited by QIII; January 10th, 2018 at 05:04 PM.