Thread: bionic breaks xenial 16.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

bionic breaks xenial 16.04

Installing the bionic daily from Jan . 01/01/18 ISO will break 16.04 in UEFI mode while doing a 'alongside' installation. At this point , 16.04 is unrecoverable but Bionic will boot gnome-wayland.

Regards..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: bionic breaks xenial 16.04

maybe you share a single /home partition, and got some settings conflicting or overwrited

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    Installing the bionic daily from Jan . 01/01/18 ISO will break 16.04 in UEFI mode while doing a 'alongside' installation. At this point , 16.04 is unrecoverable but Bionic will boot gnome-wayland.

Regards..
    I wonder if it's changing something in the EFI boot partition? I've been trying to figure out why a UEFI drive won't boot any longer after switching motherboards. Boot Repair had no effect on it. But Super GRUB2 will boot the operating systems.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Every UEFI install overwrites /EFI/ubuntu folder in the ESP - efi system partition. Similar to the way MBR gets overwriten.
    Best to fully back up the ESP. But once booted, the partition is hidden with umask=0077 in fstab.

I have posted bug reports to let users change /EFI/ubuntu to something else, but nothing.
    You can change name in /etc/default/grub but then it still uses the 3 line grub.cfg in /EFI/ubuntu.
    The have hard coded the location of grub.cfg in ESP.

I have installed Bionic twice, and had no issue other than having to edit this back to UUID & partition my main working install is in.
    Have not installed for a couple of weeks will do that again, soon.

Code:
    search.fs_uuid 5c1e1a3f-261f-4da5-a0c2-8f479b3039de root hd0,gpt2 
    set prefix=($root)'/boot/grub'
    configfile $prefix/grub.cfg
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    I wonder if it's changing something in the EFI boot partition? I've been trying to figure out why a UEFI drive won't boot any longer after switching motherboards. Boot Repair had no effect on it. But Super GRUB2 will boot the operating systems.

Look at the screenshot in this post here: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....1#post13726611

That was from the bionic current jan. 01/01 with gnome3. I started it up today and I still get those errors and now 16.04. kaput but will try Oldfred's idea

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Every UEFI install overwrites /EFI/ubuntu folder in the ESP - efi system partition. Similar to the way MBR gets overwriten.
    Best to fully back up the ESP. But once booted, the partition is hidden with umask=0077 in fstab.

I have posted bug reports to let users change /EFI/ubuntu to something else, but nothing.
    You can change name in /etc/default/grub but then it still uses the 3 line grub.cfg in /EFI/ubuntu.
    The have hard coded the location of grub.cfg in ESP.

I have installed Bionic twice, and had no issue other than having to edit this back to UUID & partition my main working install is in.
    Have not installed for a couple of weeks will do that again, soon.

Code:
    search.fs_uuid 5c1e1a3f-261f-4da5-a0c2-8f479b3039de root hd0,gpt2 
    set prefix=($root)'/boot/grub'
    configfile $prefix/grub.cfg
    My point being is that the BIOS UEFI bug from artful is now migrated to Bionic? and it's a xenial breaker?

regards...

Beans
    Distro

Restored the xenial desktop but now have the dreaded llvmpipe.
    Attached Images Attached Images