Thread: Meltdown and Spectre Discussion Sticky

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Re: Meltdown and Spectre Discussion Sticky

Quote Originally Posted by clivend View Post
    hello everyone,

I checked my cpu with the intel tool and seems like I am not affected by the bug. Now I wonder if the patched will cause the performance loss also on non affected cpus like mine.

thanks
    I have downloaded the tool, extracted it. How do I run it ?
    Lubuntu 20.04

Beans

updates

the only update I found was about 800KB of something called Ubuntu Base. Is that the fix for Intel issue??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ckrles View Post
    Hi! I've got a computer with Xubuntu 14.04 lts. Will it receive the meltdown and spectre patches? I know Xubuntu 14.04 has run out of support but so has ubuntu 12.04 lts and it is going to receive the patch too according to what I read in https://insights.ubuntu.com/2018/01/...lnerabilities/

So, do I have to upgrade to the next Xubuntu release (compatibility issues are expected I think) or should I expect the patch on Xubuntu 14.04 lts? In case it doesn't update... is there a way to manually force the update of the patch or manual installation?

Thanks.
    While true that Xubuntu 14.04 has run out of support, the base for it has not so you will get the kernel patched just the same as if running normal Ubuntu.
    (basically they use the same repos, only difference in that all the Xubuntu goodies are no longer supported)
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu

I have managed to run the tool. Here's the result :

Code:
    $ sudo python ./intel_sa00086.py 
    [sudo] password for xubuntu: 
    INTEL-SA-00086 Detection Tool
    Copyright(C) 2017, Intel Corporation, All rights reserved

Application Version: 1.0.0.152
    Scan date: 2018-01-09 17:15:24 GMT

*** Host Computer Information ***
    Name: xubuntu
    Manufacturer: System manufacturer
    Model: System Product Name
    Processor Name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-6100 CPU @ 3.70GHz
    OS Version: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic (4.14.0-15-generic)

*** Intel(R) ME Information ***
    Engine: Intel(R) Management Engine
    Version: 11.6.10.1196
    SVN: 1

*** Risk Assessment ***
    Based on the analysis performed by this tool: This system is vulnerable.
    Explanation:
    The detected version of the Intel(R) Management Engine firmware
      is considered vulnerable for INTEL-SA-00086.
      Contact your system manufacturer for support and remediation of this system.

For more information refer to the INTEL-SA-00086 Detection Tool Guide or the
      Intel Security Advisory Intel-SA-00086 at the following link:
      https://www.intel.com/sa-00086-support
    Lubuntu 20.04

Beans

16.04 should have pti in the release kernel now or shortly, 16.04-HWE has it in the edge kernel - ex.
    4.13.0-24-generic #28~16.04.1-Ubuntu
    flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc cpuid aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 sdbg fma cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 movbe popcnt aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm abm cpuid_fault epb invpcid_single pti tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid fsgsbase tsc_adjust bmi1 avx2 smep bmi2 erms invpcid xsaveopt dtherm ida arat pln pts
    bugs : cpu_insecure
    18.04 has it in proposed, somewhat incomplete packages - ex.
    flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc cpuid aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 sdbg fma cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 movbe popcnt aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm abm cpuid_fault epb invpcid_single pti tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid fsgsbase tsc_adjust bmi1 avx2 smep bmi2 erms invpcid xsaveopt dtherm ida arat pln pts
    bugs : cpu_meltdown

18.04 *could* better described as this may only address meltdown, the other (spectre) is likely not addressed at all or maybe somewhat..
    http://www.kroah.com/log/blog/2018/0...ltdown-status/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    16.04 should have pti in the release kernel now or shortly, 16.04-HWE has it in the edge kernel - ex.
    4.13.0-24-generic #28~16.04.1-Ubuntu

18.04 has it in proposed, somewhat incomplete packages - ex.

18.04 *could* better described as this may only address meltdown, the other (spectre) is likely not addressed at all or maybe somewhat..
    http://www.kroah.com/log/blog/2018/0...ltdown-status/
    I am running 18.04 with bionic-proposed enabled. Just received a kernel update. Rebooted the system. Now when I run the Intel tool I still get

"This system is vulnerable".

Code:
    $ uname -a
    Linux xubuntu 4.14.0-16-generic #19-Ubuntu SMP Mon Jan 8 17:50:31 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    Lubuntu 20.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by linuxyogi View Post
    I am running 18.04 with bionic-proposed enabled. Just received a kernel update. Rebooted the system. Now when I run the Intel tool I still get

"This system is vulnerable".

Code:
    $ uname -a
    Linux xubuntu 4.14.0-16-generic #19-Ubuntu SMP Mon Jan 8 17:50:31 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    Because the scan tool has nothing to do with meltdown.
    That's about flaws in intel's management engine.
    (which seemingly intel does not care enough to help anyone with outside of passing the buck over to whomever the machine's manufacturers are,
    who in turn probably do not care about any machine not under warranty; I rant little)
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    Because the scan tool has nothing to do with meltdown.
    That's about flaws in intel's management engine.
    (which seemingly intel does not care enough to help anyone with outside of passing the buck over to whomever the machine's manufacturers are,
    who in turn probably do not care about any machine not under warranty; I rant little)
    Frankly I am yet to understand clearly what Meltdown and Spectre is.

I am running
    Code:
     4.14.0-16-generic
    Do you think I am safe ?
    Lubuntu 20.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

It is my understanding that I am using Ubuntu 16.04.3 64 bit LTS and I have Linux kernel 4.10.0-42 AMD64 generic installed. I would have to download and install Linux kernel 4.13.x-y AMD64 generic from the pti ppa in order for this to be patched, right? In other words, I can wait for Ubuntu 16.04.4 64 bit LTS due on February 15th, 2018 or I can turn on Ubuntu proposed and do an update, correct?

Beans

For starters, the intel tool referenced is NOT to detect the Spectre/Meltdown flaws. It's to detect the Intel Management Engine flaw.

The Spectre/Meltdown detection script is here: https://github.com/speed47/spectre-meltdown-checker

Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast