Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Meltdown and Spectre Discussion Sticky

Beans

Meltdown and Spectre Discussion Sticky

Do Meltdown and Spectre vulnerability problems only apply to 64 bit processors ?

Thanks.
    Last edited by QIII; January 5th, 2018 at 10:06 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Thread moved to Security.

"Hardware" is for help getting hardware to work with Ubuntu.
    Last edited by QIII; January 5th, 2018 at 10:07 PM.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

I find a few posts about this . There will probably be more info in the coming days. Most intel chips since 1995 use speculative execution.

https://security.stackexchange.com/q.../176739#176739

Any CPU that performs speculative execution is vulnerable to Spectre, so yes, 32-bit OSs are vulnerable.

Meltdown is an issue with how Intel CPUs enforce memory protection while performing speculative execution (in short, memory protection isn't enforced until the point at which speculative execution is turned into real execution). 32-bit OSs on Intel CPUs are vulnerable, but the heavier use of swap reduces the impact somewhat (Meltdown can only read physical memory; data that's been swapped out to disk is inaccessible).
    Last edited by QIII; January 5th, 2018 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Add Info
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Is Ubuntu really going to leave 32-bit users in the dust with Meltdown and Spectr

This is a partial quote that looks much like FUD. The original one looks like this:
    http://blog.dustinkirkland.com/2018/...n-spectre.html
    Ubuntu users of the 64-bit x86 architecture (aka, amd64) can expect updated kernels by the original January 9, 2018 coordinated release date, and sooner if possible.
    Presumably, 32bit kernels will get updates at a later date, when patches are available.

PS: In case you can't wait, there is mainline kernel 4.14.12 from the PPA with KPTI enabled. It's available, among others, for i386 architecture.
    http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v4.14.12/
    Last edited by mikewhatever; January 5th, 2018 at 08:07 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Is Ubuntu really going to leave 32-bit users in the dust with Meltdown and Spectr

It has never happened before that a supported release does not receive security updates. This is the definition of support.

My guess is that they are working under time pressure and must release the fix coordinated with other operative systems. Because of this the 64 bit task is first in priority.

(Ninja'ed by Mike)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Late to the party ...

I read an article posted by another user (mikewhatever posted it above as well) that indicated both Microsoft and Linux OSes expect to have official patched and packaged kernels on Tuesday, 9 January. I know that there is already a patched Linux kernel available (and another RC) if one wants to apply it.
    Last edited by QIII; January 5th, 2018 at 08:28 PM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

new memory problem on Intel chips and Linux

What do you do to protect your pc against this memory problem on INtel chips?? 14.04

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: new memory problem on Intel chips and Linux

Quote Originally Posted by j3984 View Post
    What do you do to protect your pc against this memory problem on INtel chips?? 14.04
    aside from the normal things like do not run untrusted software on your system i have read this can the exploited via javascript, so i would suggest using noscript to minimize the threat until the patches are out or compile your own kerenl

from all the benchmarks i have seen at phonorix the performance impact is 0 to 2%, affecting wine, and very high I/O operations eg: SQL benchmark
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: Meltdown and Spectre Discussion Sticky

Relevant to Firefox users and I suspect other browsers are doing the same.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo.../releasenotes/
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

Re: Meltdown and Spectre Discussion Sticky

Once the kernel update is done, is there a way to test if my computer is still vulnerable?

Thanks.

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast