Thread: Can't Install Ubuntu

Beans

Can't Install Ubuntu

Here are the steps I have taken.

After this error my entire PC is frozen. I can not use the keyboard at all. From here I can hold in the power button until my PC restarts and then choose the hard-drive with Windows on it. That loads up.

• I researched the error and performed Microchip update from the windows side. I followed the following video on updating the microcode from the windows. It was successful so I assume I now have the latest from Intel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEYqw5tvZHs
    • I asked Reddit what to do.
    • Reddit said "I get this error since I updated the kernel to 4.13. It's due to the missing intel ucode, which is just a warning and nothing else. Also just installing it, doesn't automatically resolve the 'error', you have to add intel-ucode image to the bootloader you are using."

I have no idea how to do this.
    From my research there is a file /boot/loader/entries/entry.conf that needs the image as the third initrd as follows.
    title Arch Linux
    linux /vmlinuz-linux
    initrd /intel-ucode.img
    initrd /initramfs-linux.img
    options ...

I have no clue where this file is that needs the modification (my usb stick???)
    I have no clue how to install "intel ucode. Searches on this give me results that are hard to follow.
    Articles like this scare me. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/microcode
    I need a little more step by step. This is my first day with Linux in my life.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Can't Install Ubuntu

Moved to Installations & Upgrades
    “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can".

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans

I updated my bios now it looks like this https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2...RPM05LMEtoc2pj

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Please provide the specs for your machine it will help to determine what might be the problem

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Silly question time. Does Ubuntu load? At the top of the page I see "please update microcode to version 0x22 (or later). If Ubuntu loads it might be possible to install a CPU microcode driver. System Settings>Software & Updates>Additional drivers.

I have never updated my BIOS but the motherboard user guide has instructions that include backing up the BIOS and restoring the original BIOS. Your motherboard BIOS setup utility may have similar functions. Or check the instructions for the utility that upgraded the BIOS.

If Ubuntu loads to an unusable state, then, at the grub boot menu select Advance options for Ubuntu and at the recovery menu select resume. That will attempt to load Ubuntu with a low resolution video driver. which may get you to a working desktop

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; January 7th, 2018 at 01:03 AM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530