Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does the warning against writing to ntfs from Linux still apply?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Does the warning against writing to ntfs from Linux still apply?

"You should never write to a Windows partition from Linux" means that you should not write to the partition, where Windows is installed, usually C:

But it is perfectly safe to write to another partition with NTFS. Many people use such data partitions to share data between Ubuntu and Windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Thank you, good to know!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I occasionally forget the rule and save stuff to my Windows partition, or modify a file on it, so far so good, (knock on wood).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Sorry, I meant to specify writing to the partitiion with the operating system for Windows (the C: drive) causes problems; not every NTFS partition.
    My FANTOM USB drive (which just happens to be F: in Windows) that I mentioned is always on and gets automounted in which ever OS I boot into is NTFS.
    It is also F: in Ubuntu and Arch if no other USB drive is connected at boot, otherwise it could become a different letter and I have to be careful to know which drive I am accessing in that case.

If I have something in Linux that I want to see in Windows, I put it on that and vice versa if I have something on Windows that I want to access in Linux, I put it on that USB drive.

Of course if it is a text file created in Linux, the line feed characters need to be converted for it to be read in Windows.

Beans

Oldfred is right. I forgot about and the fast startup. I can't remember what happens with fast startup--I think maybe writing just fails.

Seriously, Linux is perfectly capable of reading and writing to NTFS disks without problem. The old ntfs driver had a problem, but the ntfs-3g driver has been around and patched for probably 10 years. As far as I know, there's nothing wrong with writing to the C: drive either. It's just like any other drive, and can hold any kind of data. I've been doing that too for about 10 years with no problem. Just don't write over system or program files.
    Last edited by VanillaMozilla; January 9th, 2018 at 11:42 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by VanillaMozilla View Post
    As far as I know, there's nothing wrong with writing to the C: drive either. It's just like any other drive, and can hold any kind of data. I've been doing that too for about 10 years with no problem. Just don't write over system or program files.
    Good luck with that. My then Windows 7 system didn't cause me any problems whatsoever that I could notice but, all of a sudden my system backup started to fail. I opened up a thread in a Windows 7 forum and eventually got a windows admin looking at my problem. I tried about 17 different things that should have corrected the problem but, did not. I had mentioned that I had written to the C: drive from Ubuntu. Then came the only way out: re-install Windows. I have Windows 10 now and I will never write directly to my C: drive from Linux again period. It may not cause you any problems, you may not use it's built in backup system, it may cause problems in other parts of Windows that you do not notice at the time.

It's just as easy to have a rule that you write to another NTFS partition like a USB drive or hard drive other than C: and then transfer that to to C: drive from within Windows.

Has any one else experienced a problem writing directly to the C: drive that Windows is running on from a Linux system?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

With my old XP system, the first things I did was turn on extension & see all the system files & folders.
    The Linux NTFS driver defaults to that type of setting.

But then in clicking around in XP I would move an entire system folder or some critical file. Or do not work fast and click and move mouse at same time.
    Learned to repair XP many times.
    So when I installed Linux, I set c: drive as read only and used a shared NTFS data partition for read/write.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I write to NTFS on my laptop often. Only problem I ever had was after upgrading to Win 10 on it. Always RESTART from Windows if you want to go to Linux and access your Windows 10 NTFS partition. SHUTDOWN hibernates it.
    Reading Sticky Threads is informative and saves time.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I believe in versions prior to and including Xenial Xerus 16.04 LTS, the C: partition would not mount by simply clicking on it.
    I had to make a mount point and use aliases to mount and unmount it (this is in 16.04):
    Code:
    #Mount C: drive
    alias mountc='sudo mount -t ntfs-3g -o ro /dev/sda1 /media/windows'

#Unmount C: drive
    alias umountc='sudo umount /dev/sda1'
    But, in Zesty, Artful and Bioinic it mounts just by clicking on it as read only:

Screenshot_2018-01-13_16-04-37.png

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12