Thread: strange nautilus problem

Beans

strange nautilus problem

Hi, I am experiencing an odd problem with nautilus on one of my machines with Ubuntu 16.04.3 (with unity) and only on one machine, the other one doesn't have the problem. When first boot up or login if open Nautilus immediately it shows two icons on the launcher bar, in addition to the normal icon on top (first screenshot) another one shows up at the bottom (second screenshot) If I then close nautilus (the bottom icon then disappears) and try to open it by clicking again nothing happens for maybe 30 seconds, then click again and everything is normal and it is normal afterwards (only one icon on top and don't have to wait to re-open nautilus after closing) Also, if I wait for a minute or two after login or bootup before launching Nautilus then everything is normal (no double icon and and no waiting immediately after first launch)

This happens only on one machine and i notice this only recently (might be I didn't pay attentions before) Might have messed up some settings, wonder if there is any suggestion as to what I should check. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: strange nautilus problem

When an icon is doubled, try checking contents of /usr/share/applications/ and ~/.local/share/applications/

Examine the contents of nautilus's .desktop file (although it is admittedly arcane).

There is also this: https://beamtic.com/duplicated-icons-in-launcher

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHook View Post
    When an icon is doubled, try checking contents of /usr/share/applications/ and ~/.local/share/applications/

Examine the contents of nautilus's .desktop file (although it is admittedly arcane).

There is also this: https://beamtic.com/duplicated-icons-in-launcher

But it is not always double, it only happens at the first launch after booting up or logging in and only if launching nautilus immediately after booting up or logging in If first launch happens a minute or so after boot or login then there is no double.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Did you try solution in link? Aside from trying that, I have no further ideas.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHook View Post
    Did you try solution in link? Aside from trying that, I have no further ideas.

I know that procedure but it is for a different kind of problem that doesn't apply in this case. Thanks for trying to help anyway.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    Hi, I am experiencing an odd problem with nautilus on one of my machines with Ubuntu 16.04.3 (with unity) and only on one machine, the other one doesn't have the problem. When first boot up or login if open Nautilus immediately it shows two icons on the launcher bar, in addition to the normal icon on top (first screenshot) another one shows up at the bottom (second screenshot) If I then close nautilus (the bottom icon then disappears) and try to open it by clicking again nothing happens for maybe 30 seconds, then click again and everything is normal and it is normal afterwards (only one icon on top and don't have to wait to re-open nautilus after closing) Also, if I wait for a minute or two after login or bootup before launching Nautilus then everything is normal (no double icon and and no waiting immediately after first launch)

This happens only on one machine and i notice this only recently (might be I didn't pay attentions before) Might have messed up some settings, wonder if there is any suggestion as to what I should check. Thanks.
    Have you buy chance installed another FM?

Can you try ..
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove nautilus
    logoff, then

Code:
    sudo apt-get install nautilus
    Regards..

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    Have you buy chance installed another FM?

Can you try ..
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove nautilus
    logoff, then

Code:
    sudo apt-get install nautilus
    Regards..
    No, just one FM. Tried reinstall already. But as I said, only happens at first launch after boot or login and only if first launch happens immediately following boot or login. Otherwise it is completely normal.

Beans

I'd probably approach like -
    First see if dbus plugin is enabled in compiz settings, if so disable. (longshot..
    If no love there then set up a new user & see if problem exists there. If not, on new user run
    dconf dump / > 1.log
    On present user do same to 2.log then see if any differences jump out
    (- dconf dump can be targeted more specially by path, e.g. /org or /org/compiz ect.