Thread: Dell Optiplex 780 system fan keeps running on high

Beans

Dell Optiplex 780 system fan keeps running on high

I installed Ubuntu server 16.04.3 on an old Dell Optiplex from 2011 with an Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @2.93Ghz, 2 cores. I’m using it as a Plex server. Plex runs pretty well considering how dated this machine is. The only issue is that the system fans run high speed all the time, regardless if the CPU is being taxed or not. I suspect it is some sort of ACPI compatibility issue. I’m somewhat a newbie when it comes to Linux. Are there any Dell specific drivers I could try to fix the problem? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Dell Optiplex 780 system fan keeps running on high

Welcome to the forums, itbedguy.

The combination of lm-sensors and fancontrol may work for you:
    Code:
    sudo apt update && sudo apt install lm-sensors fancontrol
    Instructions on setting up/using lm-sensors: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SensorInstallHowto
    Instructions for setting up fancontrol are further down the same page: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Se..._sensor_values

Note that fancontrol may not work on your machine, and lm-sensors is not always easy to set up. If you are lucky, your exact MOBO and chipset will be recognized with proper values already populated. Sometimes, you need to create a config file for your mobo/CPU/GPU/chipets. In the worst case, your MOBO is not recognized. But—such caveats aside—once set up properly, it is pretty much boot and forget.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Any chance the CPU heat sink is clogged up, or the fan has stopped working? I just went through this with my desktop.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

If you don't have any monitoring set up, reboot and immediately enter your BIOS setup to see if there is a temp indicator. Let us know what you find.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Thanks everyone for the information. Turns out upon closer examination that a bad noisy fan in the power supply is the culprit. My apologies for not noticing that before, but, at least I learned a few things in the process.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

No problem

I'm not sure if you're doing it but just a friendly safety warning: DO NOT OPEN THE POWER SUPPLY UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. They have electricity that runs through them even after you unplug it from the wall and computer. Touching the wrong wire can actually kill you from the electricity. We'd rather you be alive than dead.
    Last edited by sccman; January 5th, 2018 at 08:11 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by itbedguy View Post
    …a bad noisy fan in the power supply is the culprit…
    Quote Originally Posted by sccman View Post
    …DO NOT OPEN THE POWER SUPPLY UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. They have electricity that runs through them even after you unplug it from the wall and computer. Touching the wrong wire can actually kill you from the electricity. We'd rather you be alive than dead.
    ↑+1

A new PSU is a cheap fix. You might even be able to salvage an old PSU from some computer shop for next to nothing.

Please mark thread "solved" using thread tools at the top of this thread, so that others can benefit from your solution.

Good Luck and Happy Ubuntuing!