Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Problems with Brother MFC250C under Xubuntu 17.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Problems with Brother MFC250C under Xubuntu 17.10

Thank you. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I switched to 16.04 a few days ago, with no different results. Now, how and where can I report a bug of this type?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

The printing problems seem to be an issue at the application level, not the driver level.

For the text file, it may be a problem with mousepad itself because LibreOffice Writer prints the text file perfectly fine. Are you open to using a different text editor like gedit or even LibreOffice Writer?

Also I have a few questions about the other problems:
    1) Does sane or the Brother drivers detect the scanner at all? Not the printer but the actual scanner itself.
    2) What application did you use to print the PDF?

Beans
    Distro

For the text file, it may be a problem with mousepad itself because LibreOffice Writer prints the text file perfectly fine. Are you open to using a different text editor like gedit or even LibreOffice Writer?
    Sure, I've already installed kate (I'm using some other KDE apps anyway, so why not?). Just test-printed a very short txt file with it - the first sign of the one line is missing, and so is most of the header and footer stuff (the metadata that's not in the file itself, but added by kate for the printing). I don't have any problems with using LibreOffice to print files.

Also I have a few questions about the other problems:
    1) Does sane or the Brother drivers detect the scanner at all? Not the printer but the actual scanner itself.
    Not sure about sane, but the three scan apps I tried (Simple Scan, Skanlite, and Xsane) all report that they can't find a scanner, so I assume that sane doesn't detect it.

2) What application did you use to print the PDF?
    Evince.

Beans
    Distro

I've now gotten it to work as a scanner under Xubuntu! Ok, there's still a bit of a problem where it cuts off a bit of the edge, but generally it scans fine. I copied all the files one of the links in pdc's post called me to copy, and then reinstalled sane. I hadn't planned to reinstall sane, but I had accidentally deleted a sane-related file while copying the files, so I thought a reinstall was the safest bet.

Beans
    Distro

Here are some photos to demonstrate the printing issues, if I can link to them here correctly.

First, printouts of the pdf I talked about under Windows (left) and Xubuntu (right) (I'm not showing you the whole page for privacy reasons):
    https://ibb.co/dS5y9w
    Second, an excerpt from the left edge of the same page under Windows (right) and Xubuntu (left):
    https://ibb.co/gJbS2G
    Third, for comparison, a printout of the standard Ubuntu test print page. I don't know how it's supposed to look like, but this is how my printer has always printed it:
    https://ibb.co/kxWuhG

(Sorry, I couldn't get the pictures to show up here directly.)

Oh, and for the record, the sounds the printer makes when printing that pdf file under Xubuntu are different from the ones it makes when printing it under Windows. Under Xubuntu, it sounds like "wheeewheeewheeewheeewheeewheee", while under Windows it sounds more like "wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewheeeeeeeeeeeeeeewheeeeeeeeeeee ".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12