Thread: I have Lubuntu 17.04 installed in my Lenovo G400. Is it safe to update to 17.10 yet?

Beans

I have Lubuntu 17.04 installed in my Lenovo G400. Is it safe to update to 17.10 yet?

There is a known bug affecting Lenovo laptops that upgrading to Ubuntu 17.10 may result in a bricked laptop, link. The issue appears to have been fixed with the next Kernel update (4.13.0-21). Seeing as Lubuntu 17.10 now ships with Linux Kernel 4.13, does this mean that it is now safe to upgrade?

For the record, I intend to upgrade via Software Updater, which has notified me that an update is available.

Thank you!
    Last edited by data4pass; December 29th, 2017 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Wrong version of Lubuntu stated.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: I have Lubuntu 17.04 installed in my Lenovo G400. Is it safe to update to 17.10 y

This is just "my" experience with that bug listed. I am Always upgrading to the newer release's (In testing) I have never had any issues. Lenovo T430
    That said i did have a friend that brought me her laptop with the corrupt bios (From a fresh clean install) that I was able to fix by installing kernel 4.14, and after a couple of reboots the Bios were back and functional. NOTE: (Your Mileage may vary)
    But upgrading to 17.10 was reported to be safe as it pulled in the fixed kernel.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans

Re: I have Lubuntu 17.04 installed in my Lenovo G400. Is it safe to update to 17.10 y

I wouldn't go through with it until the download is made available again on ubuntu.com.
    1fallen seems to have good information.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Seeing as Lubuntu 17.04 now ships with Linux Kernel 4.13,
    When did that happen?
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    When did that happen?
    Ah, I meant 17.10, corrected.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by data4pass View Post
    Ah, I meant 17.10, corrected.

I thought I missed something important happening.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

NOTE: This is just one case test here. Your Mileage may VARY
    Just wanted to add that I just now 12/29/2017 Downloaded the iso Dated 2017-10-18 18:53>> From here: http://releases.ubuntu.com/17.10/
    Installed a fresh clean install from that .iso.
    All is Good! For me.
    System:
    Code:
    inxi -M S && uname -a
    Machine:   Device: laptop System: LENOVO product: 2349M88 v: ThinkPad T430 serial: N/A
               Mobo: LENOVO model: 2349M88 serial: N/A
               UEFI [Legacy]: LENOVO v: G1ETB2WW (2.72 ) date: 01/31/2017
    Linux me-ThinkPad-T430 4.13.0-21-generic #24-Ubuntu SMP Mon Dec 18 17:29:16 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    And From here: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/1...u_lenovo_bios/
    A spokesperson for Intel has been in touch to say the chipmaker is aware of the BIOS cockup triggered by installing Ubuntu Linux 17.10. "We’re actively working with Ubuntu to ensure the issue is corrected," she said. "This is a unique issue based on non-Intel recommended changes made to the BIOS configurations by Ubuntu."
    These machines are not really permanently borked. It is possible to reflash them, which restores normal BIOS functionality. The difficulty is that Lenovo only supplies reflashing tools which work under Windows, and in order for these to work you need to boot Windows. Which is tricky, if your only OS available on disk is Linux, and you cannot boot anything else from USB.

Some affected users managed to attach CDROM via USB and proceed from there. Ideally Lenovo should provide BIOS reflashing tool which works under Linux

Hope this is useful.
    Last edited by 1fallen; December 31st, 2017 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Added "is" Bolded Important
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans

Thank you, 1fallen, deadflowr and uRock. Your information have been very useful.

I think I will just wait until the fixed iso is released. For some reason I'm still hesitant to upgrade via Software Updater despite the reports that the updates provided from it includes a fixed kernel.
    Last edited by data4pass; December 30th, 2017 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Grammar

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Good idea. I always prefer a fresh install to an upgrade.

Support for 17.04 runs out in january which usually means end of the month so you have plenty of time.
    Last edited by mörgæs; December 31st, 2017 at 09:28 AM.