Thread: Lubuntu 17.10 has different desktop environment for 32-bit vs. 64-bit?

Beans

Lubuntu 17.10 has different desktop environment for 32-bit vs. 64-bit?

I installed Lubuntu 17.10 64-bit on a Gateway LT28 that has an 8GB SSD in it. But the OS took up most of that 8GB, so I decided to wipe it and install the 32-bit version (of Lubuntu 17.10 again), instead.

I noticed, though, that the 32-bit version of the OS has a different desktop environment than the 64-bit version does! The 32-bit version looks older, more like Windows 7, with the system menu in the bottom-left corner of the display. The 64-bit version looks cleaner / more modern and has the system menu in the top-left corner of the display.

Is it correct that the two installs of Lubuntu 17.10 should look so different? How can I install the more modern appearance on the 32-bit version?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Lubuntu 17.10 has different desktop environment for 32-bit vs. 64-bit?

I am pretty sure they ought to be identical, so are you sure that you have not downloaded the Lubuntu-next version of one of them meaning it has the LxQt desktop instead of LXDE, and that both are 17.10?

Some screenshots from the live OSs would help as it's difficult to know from your description alone what you're seeing.

Beans

Never mind - I think I know what I did - I'm probably comparing Xubuntu 17.10 64-bit with Lubuntu 17.10 32-bit. It was late last night and I had intended to use Xubuntu but I installed Lubuntu instead.

If this turns out not to be the case I'll let you know, but it's probably just user error! Thank you for having replied!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Great news!

Please mark as SOLVED from the Thread Tools menu up-top if this is now solved to your satisfaction. It is a great help to users searching the forum.