Thread: ASUS USB-N13 connection hangs

Beans

ASUS USB-N13 connection hangs

I'm increasingly at a loss with Ubuntu. I bought a TP-Link TL-WN823N USB wi-fi dongle a couple months back, and had to unplug and plug it back in on every reboot to get it to work. So the other day, I gave up and bought an ASUS USB-N13, and it seemed like it worked fine for a day or two. But now it's simply dropping connection. The wi-fi signal seems to stay strong, but the connection dies. It's not the fiber-optic connection because other devices have no problem. Here's the output of the wireless-info thing I ran when the connection died a few minutes ago.

http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/26213997/

When the connection dies, it simply hangs there for a minute or two, refusing to do anything. I've tried the USB-N13 on two different USB ports with no difference. Also: following a tip in a different forum or thread, I ran the command to change the power setting (?) from 3 to 2. Think this was in NetworkManager or a .conf file. No change.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: ASUS USB-N13 connection hangs

It is loading two different modules for the wifi, try
    Code:
    echo "blacklist rtl8192cu" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/realtek.conf
    Reboot and see if it works better, if not we can switch to blacklist the other module and try again
    Code:
    echo "blacklist rtl8xxxu" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/realtek.conf
    Reboot

Beans

Thanks for the reply. I'm a bit confused. I ran the first line of code. The connection doesn't seem to be hanging up anymore. But it seems to have recreated the problem I had with the TP-Link TL-WN823N. The ASUS adapter now doesn't startup with the reboot. I have to manually unplug and re-plug it into USB. Also the blue LED has stopped working on the adapter. It comes on for a second after a reboot, then cuts out at the Ubuntu splash window and doesn't come back on.

This is basically the exact same thing that was going on with the TP-Link TL-WN823N. The LED wouldn't come on with that one either, and I had to manually unplug and replug. I dual-boot Windows 10. On Windows 10, the blue LED on that adapter would stay on and it generally didn't require manual unplg/plug on reboot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Try the second line of code and reboot. I am not familiar with what features each of the modules have
    What source did you use for the TL-WN823N driver?
    Last edited by jeremy31; December 19th, 2017 at 12:10 PM.

Beans

So far, so good. You're a boss! I'll keep an eye on it. You've restored some of my faith in Ubuntu.

Re: the TL-WN823N, I used this: ppa.launchpad.net/hanipouspilot/rtlwifi/ubuntu

Now I wonder if your fix would have solved the problem with the TL-WN823N as well. Maybe I'll try it at some point if I'm feeling bold.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

If you want to work some more with the TP Link uninstall the driver from the PPA and use https://github.com/Mange/rtl8192eu-linux-driver
    I think that TP Link shows in lsusb results as 2357:0109

Beans

How do you go about doing that? I'm not finding a straightforward answer via Google search.

Well, Still experiencing a hanging connection though it's less frequent than before. I did shift the USB dongle to a USB port on the monitor not long after running the code when it looked like it was going to work.
    Last edited by howefield; December 19th, 2017 at 02:50 PM. Reason: posts combined.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

To install the new one from Mange see https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....0#post13601820
    You will likely have to uninstall Pilots version with
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove rtl8192eu-dkms

Beans

After another slowdown for 30-60 seconds, I've decided I'd like to try the TP-LINK again. Following the first terminal command you linked to, I get this:

Package dkms is not available, but is referred to by another package.
    This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
    is only available from another source

E: Package 'dkms' has no installation candidate
    Thanks in advance for your help.

Well, after a couple of hours, I managed (I think) to install dkms. There was no way to do it even after adding repository locations, trying different variations of commands, etc. I had to somehow or other do a package download from the website and then use software installer.

Then I followed your instructions per the other thread, and am now back on the TP-LINK. Will monitor it and see how it turns out.
    Last edited by howefield; December 19th, 2017 at 07:32 PM. Reason: posts combined.