Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lubuntu desktop to cinnemon desktop to dead desktop (without asking)

Beans

Re: Lubuntu desktop to cinnemon desktop to dead desktop (without asking)

I installed javawebstart so that I can load the KGS Go playing app directly (without a browser). I couldn't do it with just Iced Tea (or at least I couldn't figure out how to do it). As for WPS I downloaded it directly from their website and it was an instant install.

WPS was the only program I installed without using synaptic or the software centre so I had never used the terminal to install anything (the WPS was a .deb package which installed with a few clicks of the mouse). Should I be installing them via the terminal? I thought via synaptic and software centre it was just safer and would avoid any mistakes. I've never typed "sudo su" before. In fact I hadn't even used the terminal at all the second time I installed lubuntu until the cinnemon disaster happened again.

Libre office is better than open office for sure and while it is close to keeping the MSWord formatting, its not close enough (that is it takes a lot of time to reformat the tiny discrepancies on each and every document). WPS is virtually seamless with MSOffice and on Linux it is add free so I'd definitely prefer it.

Apart from my unusual cinnemon bizarrity...I do really like lubuntu so far.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I am beginning to think that you might mean something completely different when you state "Cinnamon Desktop". So far, nothing you are doing would install the Cinnamon DE. Are you, perhaps, confusing something like Lubuntu-Netbook DE or the Openbox DE with Cinnamon? Lubuntu might fall back to these environments if Lubuntu DE can't load. As vasa1 and deadflowr have asked, you really must post the output from:
    Code:
    ls /usr/share/xsessions
    Last, but not least, you are mixing apps in a strange way by running Java Web Start with Icedtea. I'm not surprised that it works—after all, Icedtea is supposed to be a replacement for Java—but if people want to run a true Java component, then they usually choose to do so on a true Java environment. Download page: https://www.java.com/en/

Beans

This is what I get from the command:

Lubuntu.desktop Lubuntu-Netbook.desktop openbox.desktop
    I cannot be sure if there really was a switch to cinnemon or not. I was never familiar with it before. Suddenly, my computer loads and the desktop environment has completely changed. It slowed down considerably, the enviroment was much more sophisticated than the original, there was a system tray notice saying something like "Cinnemon may slow down your computer" or something like that. So I assumed the desktop enviroment was now cinnemon. I checked out some screen captures of the two desktop enviroments you mentioned and what I had there looks nothing like those two DEs. It had an elaborate start menu and stylish elegant icons. When I look at some screencaps of cinnemon on google images, it pretty much looks like the sudden DE it was switched to.

In any case, I've found a way to tweak the gnome player and it plays most videos quite well now. As version 16 works much faster and is more responsive than 17, unless there is any good reason not to, I'd like to stick with version 16. I've installed the programs I need and have done the updates, the Go app works perfectly fine. When I try to open the KGS go program (as a jar file) nothing happens when I try to open it with open jdk java runtime. When I install the webstart...it loads and works fine. So, unless the desktop enviroment suddenly changes again I'm happy to enjoy my fast operating system the way it is now. Or should I go back to 17?
    Last edited by shabidoo; December 13th, 2017 at 10:34 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by shabidoo View Post
    T…I'm happy to enjoy my fast operating system the way it is now. Or should I go back to 17?
    NO NO. Do not go to 17.10! If everything is stable for you now and you are happy with things, then stick with Xenial. We are unlikely to be hearing back from you if you stick to Xenial. Not that we don't want to hear from you, but we prefer your presence as a willing participant and not because you have a problem. You will find Xenial more stable and reliable.

Oddly, after this convoluted journey, it seems that you now have a pretty decent system and are reasonably happy with it. Perhaps the Cinnamon episode will always remain a mystery (and best to let sleeping dogs lay). You'll have a story to tell to your grandchildren: "When I first installed Lubuntu…"

Good Luck and Happy Lubuntu-ing!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHook View Post
    Perhaps the Cinnamon episode will always remain a mystery (and best to let sleeping dogs lay).
    Yeah. It's really nice to have a fast desktop for my low spec computer, and the extra bonus is you get most of the advantages of ubuntu (software centre, themes, problem solving etc). You guys were super fast responding and helped me get it going. Thanks a lot!!!!

Oddly, after this convoluted journey, it seems that you now have a pretty decent system and are reasonably happy with it.Good Luck and Happy Lubuntu-ing!
    I told some of my computer-smart friends about the cinnamon thing and they are equally baffled. Unsolved mystery. Thanks again!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123