Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lubuntu desktop to cinnemon desktop to dead desktop (without asking)

Beans

Re: Lubuntu desktop to cinnemon desktop to dead desktop (without asking)

Hey. When I put the text between the tags, it doesn't keep any of the formatting. In fact, whatever I type it takes out all hardbreaks completely. I don't know why or how to change that. Here is the results of the other command:
    ls: cannot access xsessions: No such file or directory/usr/share:abiword-3.0 gnome-vpn-properties nvidiaaclocal gnupg omfacpi-support gnupg2 ontologyadduser GraphicsMagick-1.3.20 openshot-qtakonadi groff openvpnalarmclock grub oragealarm-clock-applet gscan2pdf os-proberalsa gsmartcontrol otsant gst-plugins-base p11-kitantiX gstreamer-0.10 pacplapache2 gstreamer-1.0 pamappdata gtk-doc pam-configsapplication-registry gtk-engines paroleapplications gtkhash pavucontrolapport gufw pcmanfmapps gutenprint pdfshuffleraptitude gvfs peg-eapt-xapian-index hal perlaspell hardinfo perl5audacity help pixmapsautostart hibernate pkgconfigavahi hplip pkg-config-crosswrapperavidemux6 hunspell pnm2ppaawk i18n polkit-1backgrounds icedtea-web popplerbase-files icons ppdbase-passwd idl pppbash-completion ImageMagick-6 projectMbinfmts info pstoeditblueman initramfs-tools pulseaudiobroadcom-sta inkscape pyrenamerbug insserv pysharedbuild-essential installation-report pythonca-certificates iptables python3ca-certificates-java java python-aptcalendar javascript python-supportcatfish javazi qpdfviewcli-common kde4 qt4clocky keymaps qt5color keyrings qtchoosercolord keyutils readlinecommon-licenses ladspa roxconsole latex2html sambaconsolefonts libaudio2 screenconsole-setup libc-bin scribusconsoletrans libdbi-perl seahorsecryptsetup libexttextcat sgmlcups libfm sgml-basedbus-1 libgksu sgml-datadebconf libgphoto2 shotwelldebhelper liblangtag smartmontoolsdebianutils libnm-gtk smtubedesktop-directories libquvi-scripts snmpdh-python librarian sopranodict libreoffice soundsdictionaries-common libsensors4 spamassassindirectfb-1.2.10 libthai sshdiscover lightdm ssl-certdisk-manager lightdm-gtk-greeter-settings strigidjvu lintian sweepdns locale synapticdnsmasq-base luckybackup system-config-printerdoc lyx system-config-sambadoc-base m2300w systemddotnet man system-tools-backends-2.0dpkg man-db sysvinitecryptfs-utils maven-repo sysv-rcemacs mc tabsetemesene menu tcltkemoticons metainfo templatesenchant midori terminfoepiphany-browser mime tex-commonevolution-data-server mime-info texlivefarstream mimelnk texmfFBReader mirage themesfbxkb misc Thunarfeh mixxx tlp-pmffmpeg mobile-broadband-provider-info toolsfile modass transmissionfile-roller mono ufwfirefox-esr mono-2.0 upstartfontconfig mozilla usb_modeswitchfonts mx-bootrepair vimfonts-droid mx-codecs virtualboxfoo2qpdl mx-defaultlook vlcfoo2zjs mx-findshares volumeicongalculator mx-flash vpnc-scriptsgalternatives mx-installer vrmsgames mx-menu-editor vtegbrowse mx-network-assistant wallpapersgcc-4.9 mx-packageinstaller webkitgtk-1.0gcj mx-packageinstaller-pkglist webkitgtk-3.0gconf mx-remaster winffGConf mx-remastercc X11gcr-3 mx-repo-manager xfburngdb mx-select-sound xfce4gdebi mx-snapshot xfce4-mixerGeoIP mx-system-sounds xfce4-notes-pluginghostscript mx-tools xfiggimp mx-usb-unmounter xfwm4git-core mx-user xgreetersgitweb mx-welcome xinegksu myspell xine-libglib-2.0 mysql xmlgmerlin mysql-common xml-coregmtp nano xscreensavergnome ndisgtk xsessionsgnome-control-center netpbm yelpgnome-online-accounts nfs-common yelp-xslgnome-ppp nfs-kernel-server zlibrarygnome-schedule nm-applet zoneinfognome-shell numpy zsh
    I had to use quote because when I use code it just creates one enormous line. I used the terminal on my MXLinux as I cannot get a terminal on the Lubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

No, you definitely installed cinnamon.
    The question was how, and unfortunately you don't know, or can't remember.
    We can say with good measure that it wasn't on purpose.
    Water under the bridge at this point.

vasa1's output is a good idea
    but the command should be
    Code:
    ls /usr/share/xsessions
    no break between share/and xsessions.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    vasa1's output is a good idea
    but the command should be
    Code:
    ls /usr/share/xsessions
    Sorry about that

I'll go back and fix it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    No, you definitely installed cinnamon.The question was how, and unfortunately you don't know, or can't remember.We can say with good measure that it wasn't on purpose.Water under the bridge at this point.vasa1's output is a good ideabut the command should be
    Code:
    ls /usr/share/xsessions
    I guess I must have installed it but I don't know how I could have...twice. Maybe it came along with a program I installed, though they were all pretty standard programs (VLC, QTorrent, Filemanager, Chromium, GIMP, Flash). The only package i installed not in the software centre or synaptic was WPS (kingsoft office suite). I didn't make any other changes to the desktop enviroment other than selecting icon packs and a new wallpaper. I dont even know how to install cinnamon. Here is the results of the command from the terminal in my MXLinux:
    Code:
    lightdm-xsession.desktop  xfce.desktop

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

The command that deadflowr and vasa1 want you to run is useful only if you run it within the problem session. It doesn't give useful info from within MXLinux. However, you've stated that you can't get the problem GUI session going. Therefore, running terminal sessions and reporting them back can prove difficult.

You can get into a command line shell using <Ctrl>+<Alt>+<F1>, run the command that way and record the results to report back, but I believe that you will just end up showing us what we already suspect: that the Cimmamon DE has been installed, possibly alongside the proper Lubuntu stuff. If you want to try this procedure, on my 16.04 VM, the results of the command is:
    Code:
    duckhook@Lubuntu:~$  ls /usr/share/xsessions
    Lubuntu.desktop  Lubuntu-Netbook.desktop  LXDE.desktop  openbox.desktop
    If your output shows anything more than these, you've somehow dragged in an extra DE.

Here's my recommendation: if you are not concerned about the data or apps on your problem install, simply reinstall Lubuntu. This will give you a fresh install without the Cinnamon bits. You've stated that you tried to back out Cinnamon, reinstalled Lubuntu, etc. My concern is that, given what we don't know about your actions, the integrity of your system is now compromised. Rather than trying to hunt down discrepancies, it will probably take less time and aggravation to simply do a pristine Lubuntu install. Then, you should be very careful about what additional apps you install. Some apps may drag in the whole Cinnamon environment unbeknownst to you. If in doubt, check first on these forums.

If you choose this route, make sure you are installing Lubuntu from the main repos. You can torrent a proper image from here. Torrents are more reliable than direct downloads. I would also recommend installing Xenial (16.04) over Artful (17.10). LTS versions are more stable and reliable, especially for new users.

I'm turning in for tonight and will check in on this thread tomorrow.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by shabidoo View Post
    Hi Rob. Thanks for replying. I installed LXLE and MXLinux on different partitions and created a new partition for Lubuntu. Is it possible that conflicts can happen between different distributions on different partitions? I'd prefer to not wipe the whole harddrive and only install lubuntu but would if you think it's a probable solution.

You do not have to wipe the whole hard drive clean, You can use that same partition to install Lubuntu

Is it possible that conflicts can happen between different distributions on different partitions?
    I don't see how that would be possible seeing there on different partitions. If you're running more then one OS on your machines anything you do should not effect another distribution on a different partition

Beans

Thanks Rob for the detailed reply. I decided in the end to wipe my harddrive and just install Lubutu 16 using the torrent. I did so and while it is even a little faster than 17 on my computer, the video players are sluggish as they were on almost all the other linux distros i tried (on lubuntu 17.10 videos played totally fine). Tomorrow I will install 17.10 on the computer as video watching is important for me. I think its pretty safe to install: VLC, Gimp, flash (available on the software centre) and qbittorrent (available on synaptic).

The only two programs that may have interfered with the op system would be WPS (i need this office suite as openword doesn't keep formatting on some documents) which I downloaded and installed on my own. I also installed icetea and plug in and java webstart (needed to play Go online) which was the last thing I installed both times. Maybe one of these two packages brought about the cinnemon problems?

Beans

The only two programs that may have interfered with the op system would be WPS (i need this office suite as openword doesn't keep formatting on some documents) which I downloaded and installed on my own. I also installed icetea and plug in and java webstart (needed to play Go online) which was the last thing I installed both times. Maybe one of these two packages brought about the cinnemon problems?
    It may depend on whether you've installed any package via a ppa. How did you install the packages?
    Code:
    grep -i "status installed cinnamon" /var/log/dpkg.log dpkg.log.1
    If you see something like /var/log/dpkg.log.2.gz, then try
    Code:
    zgrep -i "status installed cinnamon" /var/log/dpkg.log.*.gz

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

…The only two programs that may have interfered with the op system would be WPS (i need this office suite as openword doesn't keep formatting on some documents) which I downloaded and installed on my own. I also installed icetea and plug in and java webstart (needed to play Go online) which was the last thing I installed both times. Maybe one of these two packages brought about the cinnemon problems?
    Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    It may depend on whether you've installed any package via a ppa. How did you install the packages?[/CODE]
    ↑↑↑+1

I would suggest that you download WPS directly from their site (NOT via PPA) and install that way. Also, I could not help noticing that you refer to the limitations of "openword". I am not familiar with that app, but you may have better luck with Libreoffice which is possibly better at retaining formatting. Libreoffice is in the repos. No harm giving it a try.

WPS site is: http://wps-community.org/downloads

Icedtea is available from the repos and should not drag in anything else:
    Code:
    sudo apt install icedtea-plugin
    …or for the more recent package:
    Code:
    sudo apt install icedtea-8-plugin
    However, if you are using Icedtea, why are you running Java Web Start? Shouldn't you be using Icedtea-Web?

If running Artful (17.10), I believe that you can install the whole ensemble with:
    Code:
    sudo apt install icedtea-web
    If installing this metapackage, you will not need to install icedtea-plugin separately.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHook View Post
    If running Artful (17.10), I believe that you can install the whole ensemble with:
    Code:
    sudo apt install icedtea-web
    If installing this metapackage, you will not need to install icedtea-plugin separately.
    Bad info above. I just checked and Artful does not yet have this package in the repos. Apologies.

You may have to compile it from source. From Launchpad: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/icedtea-web
    From developers' site: https://icedtea.classpath.org/wiki/IcedTea-Web

Neither should drag in things like Cinnamon.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast