Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: ASUS X205TA hardware support for any other OS

Beans

Re: ASUS X205TA hardware support for any other OS

I have an Asus x205ta and i am trying to install linux(Mint) onto it and i have had no luck and i believe the problem discussed here is the reason. I'm wondering if this method is the best method to install linux and does it still work? I'm currently running windows 10 and it looks like many of the commands in OP are linux commands so im wondering how will i be able to install a single installation of linux over windows? A good starting point for me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Beans

FWIW Arch Linux kernel 5.07 has wifi support OOB.

Beans

Hello, all!
    There are 2 good news for X205TA users:
    1) ASUS has released new BIOS (203 for X205TAW & 213 for X205TA) after ~4 years https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ASUS...HelpDesk_BIOS/
    2) New Debian 10 'buster' runs out-of-box with stock kernel at X205TA (wi-fi, bluetooth, sound+mic), only brcmfmac43340.txt is needed
    cp /sys/firmware/efi/efivars/nvram-74b00bd9-805a-4d61-b51f-43268123d113 /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac43340-sdio.txt
    Last edited by constantin-; July 7th, 2019 at 05:31 PM.

Beans

@constantin- Hi, what kernel version are you using? I tried a clean install and with Buster default 4.19 kernel I have no sound.

Edit - I got it working doing the following:
    1) install kernel 5.2.8
    2) download HiFi.conf and chtrt5645.conf from harryharryharry's and PierreBossart's GitHubs
    3) install firmware-intel-sound from Buster non-free packages

Edit 2
    I realized that headphones weren't working, I had to add the line "options snd_soc_rt5645 quirk=0x31" to /etc/modprobe.d/50-x205ta.conf
    Last edited by datgrey; August 28th, 2019 at 12:15 PM.

Beans

Hi everyone, i have managed to make almost everything work on my laptop, except bluetooth. I have attempted to follow Harry's guide to enable it, also from Arch wiki, etc, nothing seems to quite work.
    This is my output while trying to query for the status of btattach.

Code:
    btattach.service - Btattach
       Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/btattach.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
       Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Wed 2019-10-16 15:06:50 IST; 4s ago
     Main PID: 1823 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Oct 16 15:06:50 akash-debian systemd[1]: Started Btattach.
    Oct 16 15:06:50 akash-debian btattach[1823]: Failed to open serial port: No such file or directory
    Oct 16 15:06:50 akash-debian btattach[1823]: No controller attached
    Oct 16 15:06:50 akash-debian btattach[1823]: Attaching Primary controller to /dev/ttyS4
    Oct 16 15:06:50 akash-debian systemd[1]: btattach.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/
    Oct 16 15:06:50 akash-debian systemd[1]: btattach.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
    Also it shows that controller is not attached..

any ideas guys? i have been trying to do it for 2 days without any avail...

Beans

Re: Asus X205TA hardware support in Ubuntu

Hello all,

I recently installed Linux Mint (the one from http://x205ta.myftp.org:1337/isos/). Everything works perfectly fine!

Except that the microphone didn't work. I noticed that my kernel was sound-40, while the latest was 43 (here http://x205ta.myftp.org:1337/kernel/). So I installed it... and now my sound is completely broken.

pavucontrol simply says "Connection to PulseAudio failed". I tried using the remove-harry-kernels.sh script to see if that would help (and then I reinstalled the 43 kernel afterwards), but PulseAudio is still broken. I also tried using following https://askubuntu.com/questions/4266...o-ubuntu-12-04 to reinstall pulseaudio, but the problem still exists.

What do I do?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Moved post #36 to the any other OS Asus X205TA thread.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

First post edited with updated install instructions.
    ASUS Eee Book X205TA | OS: Manjaro Linux Xfce | Kernel: 5.8.X-X-MANJARO

Beans

Re: Asus X205TA hardware support: bluetooth doesn't find any device to connect to!

Quote Originally Posted by joshua123456 View Post
    You are referring to an old and obsolete guide. Which distro did you install?

Ubuntu and his flavors have now out of the box support for the X205TA. You can build your own iso with Harry's script.

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....0#post13983970

Once you have build your own custom iso you can live-boot it and start the installation. Bluetooth/Wifi/Etc will work without any tweaking.

I build my custom Ubuntu iso a year ago for Ubuntu 20.04.2, all worked fine although with today's knowledge I would probably have switched to Lubuntu as it uses less resources. Unfortunately my X205 has died.
    I still didn't install anything, I was simply checking a few live Linux distros...

But even on latest Bodhi, that is based on Ubuntu 20.04, the Bluetooth doesn't seem to work. Same on WattOS, which is Debian based but has a very very recent kernel. Bluetooth is working on Windows 8.1 so it's definitely something on the Linux side.

Beans

Re: Asus X205TA hardware support: bluetooth doesn't find any device to connect to!

Quote Originally Posted by sverx View Post
    I still didn't install anything, I was simply checking a few live Linux distros...

But even on latest Bodhi, that is based on Ubuntu 20.04, the Bluetooth doesn't seem to work. Same on WattOS, which is Debian based but has a very very recent kernel. Bluetooth is working on Windows 8.1 so it's definitely something on the Linux side.
    I don't know neither Bodhi nor WattOS. They are also not official Ubuntu flavours. You might want to try to get some help somewhere else for those distro's?

If you want Bluetooth to work I suggest to build your own iso (with the script I was referring to in my previous post) and try Lubuntu, Xubuntu or Ubuntu first. Those will work as I know from my own experience.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast