Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ASUS X205TA hardware support for any other OS

Beans

Re: ASUS X205TA hardware support for any other OS

Dear Harry³, I just created an manjoro deepin usb live stick with your great tool. I was not able to finish the install procedure of manjoro due to a grub error. I then followed your steps above and tried to reinstall grub via chroot. It failed due that no i386-efi files are installed. I was not able to install these. Somewhere I found the advise to install grub-i386-efi via AUR, but I was not able to find any package like that. Installing Grub via AUR faile, also.
    Do you have any idea how to get the system to boot from ssd?

Best regards
    mastertorch

Beans

@mastertorch

Did you run the /root/install-grub.sh right after installation finished?

FYI, harry has current prebuilt ISO's of Manjaro Deepin, Cinnamon and Budgie on his website.
    ASUS Eee Book X205TA | OS: Manjaro Linux Xfce | Kernel: 5.8.X-X-MANJARO

Beans

@Yochanan
    Yes, I ran the bash script while in chroot. It tries to install grub via the i368-efi folder, which didn't worked, because there is no i368-efi folder in usr/lib/grub/.
    Do you know if Harry applied any additional tweak for his iso's of Manjaro? As I know, Manjaro 17.0.3 was the last release to have a 32-bit ISO. Therefore there is no i368-efi support anymore. Which version of Manjaro do you use on your x205ta?

Beans

Why are you trying to install 32-bit? Remember, this device supports 64-bit but has a 32-bit UEFI bootloader. Both the script and the prebuilt ISO's are meant for 64-bit and will install 32-bit grub.

I'm running Manjaro Xfce 64-bit 17.1.7.

If you really want to install 32-bit, there is a community project that's been releasing 32-bit Manjaro builds for months now: https://manjaro32.org/
    Last edited by Yochanan; April 13th, 2018 at 06:47 PM.

Beans

Oh, don't get me wrong. I installed 64bit but there is no 32bit grub available. So the install is not bootable. How did you manage to install 32bit grub?

Beans

I ran the install-grub.sh after installation was finished. I forgot to do that once, so I just wiped the USB stick and reinstalled.

Beans

@Yochanan

I PM'ed Harry³ about my problems and he pointed out that grub version in the arch repo contains all needed files for filling /usr/lib/grub with the needed I386-efi files. I just checked the version of grub in the Manjaro repo, it is 2.03.0-5 and the A.L.A version with the I386-efi files is 2:2.02-5.
    So I installed downgrade via pacman while in chroot:

pacman -Syu downgrade

and downgraded to 2:2.02-5 via:

DOWNGRADE_FROM_ALA=1 downgrade grub

and then selected grub version 2:2.02-5.
    This filled the chroot/usr/lib/grub/I386-efi and I installed grub via Harry's script /root/install-grub.sh.

Worked like a charm. After this I just needed to add the headphone support and the UCM-File from Pierre Bossart’s github.

--
    Just for information:

I also had the problem to use pacman with chroot. I followed Harry's instructions for neccessary mounts, but following link was missing:

sudo ln -s /proc/self/mounts /etc/mtab

Also in Manjaro you can access chroot via

sudo manjaro-chroot /mnt/ /bin/bash

without mounting proc, sys, dev.
    --

Now I have some issues with hibernation. Sometimes after wake up, sound is broken. Also after a few hours of hibernation the system wont wake up at all. What are your experiences regarding hibernation?

Beans

Don't use hibernation, it's never worked well. I use suspend instead. Sometimes it'll still freeze during suspend even with the patches harry added, but it's much better than it used to be.

Beans

@harryharryharry:

I just tried building a Manjaro 17.1.10 ISO and received the following error. I built Manjaro 17.1.8 at the beginning of June just fine.

Code:
    + create_install_grub_executable
    + cat
    ./x205ta-custom-liveusb.sh: line 465: /home/yochanan/ISO/X205TA/tmp.s9R6nwG8Yc.x205ta-custom-liveusb.sh/squashfs-root/root/install-grub.sh: No such file or directory
    verbose log
    tree of working directory

Beans

Hi all,
    I had a working x205ta with xubuntu -thanks to harry's and others hard work- and want to switch to Manjaro.
    I tried harry's iso and was not able to make it boot.
    I used the custom script to prepare my usb drive and am able to boot the live session but the installation fail for reasons apparently similar to mastertorch (i386-efi files missing). I tried to follow the post from mastertorch but I am struggling after dozens of trials and fails maybe I need a bit more detailed guidance... I am not a very advanced user...

I confirm that the script does not work with last manjaro iso 17.1.10 but is OK with older ones

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast