Thread: Uncontrolled Fingers

Beans

Uncontrolled Fingers

I am not a touch typist, and make frequent mistakes on the keyboard.
    During my working life doing engineering documents on Windows, loose fingers were never a real problem because nothing serious happens, just a 'damn' and then a correction.

On Lubuntu with the LXDE desktop, keyboard mistakes cause the cursor to jump wildly around the document.

Does anyone else have this problem, and is there a way of preventing, or at least reducing the effects.

Is removal of shortcut combinations the way to fix it ?

Learning proper keyboard etiquette at 74 years is probably not an option.

Is there a log of received key-strokes that I could examine to see just what it was that I had mistakenly entered ?.

Only on my first bean, and loving every drop.
    John

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Uncontrolled Fingers

I have the same issue with ubuntu 17.10, the touch pad is to sensitive in my case I did find a way to help it but I do not have that information handy and it only worked until I rebooted so I just keep my wrists off the laptop and only touch the keys but it is a serious issue.

Beans

wildmanne39,
    Thanks for the suggestion, I had not thought of the touchpad.

Both my Windows XP and Linux machines are similar vintage Dell laptops without external keyboards.
    The XP is at a much lower height than the Linux, raised to get some air underneath to prevent suspected shut-down due to overheating.
    I may consider using a protective cover as the external mouse works well.

John.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

or just disable the touchpad when the mouse is plugged in, if it is causing the cursor to jump.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup (suitable for older PCs): Redobackup Less friendly disk backup (works on new PC): Clonezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I'm using Gnome and had the same issue of accidentally hitting the touchpad with the palm of my hand. Unfortunately Gnome doesn't have a setting to disable the trackpad that I could find. So, I wrote a script and mapped it to a key combo. Now I can enable/disable my trackpad with ctrl+m easily when needed. That might work for you if you are using an external mouse anyway.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Try

xinput set-prop 15 "Device Enabled" 0

You know, xubuntu has a lot more gui-based applications for configuration than lubuntu -- just a thought.
    Last edited by makitso; December 7th, 2017 at 03:36 PM.

Beans

makitso,

Installed xinput, thanks for the suggestion.

~$ xinput
    SynPS/2 Synaptics Touchpad id=11 [slave pointer (2)]

~$ xinput disable 11
    Touchpad no longer responds

~$ xinput enable 11
    Touchpad now responds

I recently added simple desktop icons to change the MENU key to/from ESC when using Librecad.
    Looks like a similar facility to switch the Touchpad Off/On ( available only when the mouse is connected ) might be useful.

The automatic disabling of the Touchpad when typing is taking place sounds interesting, but my first investigations got nowhere, still looking.

John