Thread: Boot failure impasse. What to do?

Beans

Boot failure impasse. What to do?

The other day, I was working on my ubuntu machine, everything fine. I needed to power down. Moments later, I tried to power up and only got a warning that lvmetad could not be found.

I've done about 20 manouevres designed to show this or that, or to let me bypass whatever's blocking proper booting to desktop.

While all of these things have been very interesting, I still don't have a computer that works.

I can successfully boot into the USB installer stick I made using the tutorial on this site. So..the computer can do that. I see the Ubuntu interface, can launch programs, get online, etc.

I do not know how to make this same computer boot properly from its internal boot ssd. I simply do not know how to rectify whatever the problem is.

Am I at the point of re-installing Ubuntu?

If so, should I do it differently this time? Some have suggested that the method I used may have had some bad characteristic to it, possibly related to the file system. I'm too beginner to know whether this is the case.

I did have a working Ubuntu machine from about July 15 2017 until this past Sunday.

Please advise! Many thank yous!
    Last edited by sterator; December 7th, 2017 at 05:25 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Boot failure impasse. What to do?

See Boot-Repair in my signature below and follow the instructions there to run the Boot-Info-Script. Do not run the default repair just yet but simply copy back here the pastebin link you get which will show us a lot more about your system and may help us provide a solution for you.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 16.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info --- SolvedThreads

Beans

Pastebin:

http://paste.ubuntu.com/26132968/

thank you!

Beans

Is there a sense of what the issue might be, from the paste bin data I posted?

Is there a way that a new user like me can determine the issue by looking at that data?

Thank you!