Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Wayland should not be the default in 18.04.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Wayland should not be the default in 18.04.

Perhaps when Wayland is ready for prime time ... and when the Wayland developers have decided that the "things users don't need to do" are not theirs to decide.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines
    My Blog
    A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Greetings,

Distributor ID: Ubuntu
    Description: Ubuntu Cosmic Cuttlefish (development branch)
    Release: 18.10
    Codename: cosmic
    inxi -Sxx
    System:
    Host: rrnbtter-Lenovo-ideapad-320-15IAP Kernel: 4.17.0-6-generic x86_64
    bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 8.1.0 Desktop: Gnome 3.28.3 wm: gnome-shell
    dm: gdm3 Distro: Ubuntu 18.10 (Cosmic Cuttlefish)
    $DESKTOP_SESSION
    ubuntu-wayland
    $XDG_SESSION_TYPE
    wayland
    GNOME Shell 3.28.3
    Version: 3.28.3-0ubuntu2
    loginctl type
    Type=wayland

Using Ubuntu 18.10 Gnome/Wayland and loving it every day. Nothing but the very best. People will always get what they "think they want and need" when they write their own software. The rest settle for what they get. If you want to know the answer to anything, follow the money trail.
    rrnbtter
    Life is good! Live it to the Ubuntu-ist!
    (With Proposed enabled!)

Beans

Sorry, I'm a Cybersecurity guy by trade (more manager than technician at that) so all of this tech talk is making my head spin. I have read a few things previously about Wayland, but still don't really have a good grasp of what it is/does. Can someone break it down into simple terms for me? Feel free to explain it like you would to a three year old, because that is about the level of my understanding right now. Lol

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by coffeefiend View Post
    Sorry, I'm a Cybersecurity guy by trade (more manager than technician at that) so all of this tech talk is making my head spin. I have read a few things previously about Wayland, but still don't really have a good grasp of what it is/does. Can someone break it down into simple terms for me? Feel free to explain it like you would to a three year old, because that is about the level of my understanding right now. Lol
    I'm sure as a cybersecurity guy, you are far more knowledgeable than you let on.

I'm the furthest thing from a security guru myself, but FWIW I can try summarizing my limited knowledge of the matter in a couple of paragraphs. What follows is certain to contain errors and omissions; I'm happy to learn from my betters, so gurus should feel free to correct me:

X is, by now, ancient technology that suffers from a lot of the loosey goosey tech design that was common in its day and considered okay at the time, but which today, has definitely proven to be lax and insecure. For one thing, it is unsandboxed such that it is child's play for any GUI app to gain access to both restricted system and user memory space. Wayland OTOH is properly sandboxed so that it is far harder for a rogue app to penetrate restricted memory. X is also monolithic. If it is destabilized by, say, a bad app, it can blow up your entire GUI session as the app goes down. Wayland is more robust and there's an excellent chance that a misbehaving app will be contained and won't damage your other apps much less take down the entire GUI environment.

So, on paper, Wayland is the superior GUI subsystem. However, as QIII and others have pointed out, its devs have taken a very high-handed approach to dictating what is and is not allowed. Many old ways of doing things are broken for what feels like no good reason—just a unilateral decision on the part of the devs that things won't be allowed. Since the power of Linux (at least to power users) is its flexibility and freedom to do anything (as root), such restrictions are not only constraining, but seem to offend the very spirit of what many users like about Linux.

The details are more complicated than what I've just so simplistically described, but I hope this helps.

Beans

Oh trust me, I do not jest when I say I really don't understand exactly what it is. All I know is it has something to do with graphics rendering, but it seems like there is more to it than just that. The network I manage is Windows Server 2003 with XP desktops. Yeah, ancient technology (Go Navy!). I won't know what it is like to manage a real network until I retire next year.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Wayland and X are display servers.

Arch has perhaps a more understandable description here, with a couple of links to definitions.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines
    My Blog
    A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Thanks for the link! That is much easier to read than the Wiki page. Tiny pockets of understanding are starting to form in my over-worked and under caffeinated brain.

Beans

Wacom tablets also don't work so good on wayland. The tablet pen shows up as a second cursor which I read that it's done by design but sometimes the tablet cursor become invisible and that's with Xorg 1.20 where it was supposed to be fixed. Anything below Xorg 1.20 the tablet just didn't work at all in any application for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

I use the wayland session in Ubuntu 18.04 and it works perfect with my hardware. I did have to make a start up entry so Synaptic work work but other than that I really like it.

Beans

By all rights Ubuntu shouldn't default to wayland until the severity of gnome-shell crashes in wayland is mitigated by some means to get like with Xorg, i.e not a Desktop crash.
    Till then it would be irresponsible to do so.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast