Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wayland should not be the default in 18.04.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: Wayland should not be the default in 18.04.

I'll be using Xorg on 18.04 and may switch to Budgie. I think generating a list of issues without officially reporting them does little good. Reporting bugs is the current method to give feedback to developers and affect the decision to include Wayland or not.
    Last edited by Frogs Hair; December 7th, 2017 at 05:58 PM.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

We should not assume that Gnome.org has finished its implementation of Gnome Shell as a Wayland compositor. The Gnome developers admit that they have more work to do. This page seems to be up to date. It mentions Canonical's decision to switch to Gnome/Wayland.

https://wiki.gnome.org/Initiatives/Wayland

Once the decision was made to switch to Gnome Shell it became sensible (in my opinion) to quickly begin the change over. A change to a different User Interface has to be made between LTS releases as any experimentation during the life cycle of an LTS version risks upsetting users who prefer LTS versions because of their stability.

The work being done as explained by a Ubuntu developer

https://didrocks.fr/2017/08/14/ubunt...-artful-day-1/
    https://didrocks.fr/2017/08/15/ubunt...-artful-day-2/

https://didrocks.fr/2017/09/20/ubunt...artful-day-13/

Regards
    Last edited by grahammechanical; December 7th, 2017 at 11:48 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

heh... LTS material indeed:

• Nvidia binary drivers do not work currently
    i still wish they went with KDE. it just seems a better option for desktop (especially since they practically abandoned the extra desktop work). sure gnome was there before, but that was a different gnome. if they had to stay with gnome (say because of know how) it would be better to lend assistance to cinnamon project.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

I admit Wayland was enough to make me dump Debian Buster and ubuntu 17.10 on machines and go back to 16.04. There are still three more years to get Wayland squared away.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

I suppose part of it could be my hardware, but Wayland has been an absolute disaster so far on my machine. It'll be snappier in some respects, then just degrade into a complete and utter mess. I don't think Wayland is bad really, I just think it has a ways to go. I believe once Wayland has some more spit and polish it'll be suitable to replace Xorg.

Beans

I agree with cajuncoder. My few sessions with Wayland were frustrating because of the (already mentioned) stuff that didn't work. Between Wayland's issues and snappy forcefully adding folders and loop devices on my system, 17.10 definitely feels like a test release. If Wayland becomes the default in 18.04 (and a few other issues I see in 17.10), I may exhaust the entire support period for 16.04. I understand the desire to move to Wayland, but I'm getting tired of distros defaulting to unfinished software in stable releases (Every KDE release since 3, Unity, GNOME 3, etc). That's what we have unstable/testing releases for.

While Wayland (and snaps) will probably make the Linux desktop more attractive to new users, it's far from ready and should not be the default in an LTS.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Greetings,
    I'm using Gnome Wayland in Ubuntu 18.04 and through the entire 17.10 run. I have zero problems and Win7 in virtual box is perfect. There were guest problems with Vbox for a while but it is fixed now, by Oracle of course. I wouldn't get to wound up until the LTS is released. The software dev build for the OS not the OS building for the Software. It should all come together by release time. I was upset in the beginning of Wayland because I couldn't use Luckybackup in super user mode which was the only way to save a profile. It is now working with Wayland Everything is perfect on my two machines both running Wayland and Gnome. I think it is the best OS I have ever used since MSDOS 2.9 on my Tandy 1000.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sulobanks2 View Post
    ...I may exhaust the entire support period for 16.04....
    That's my plan. If I can't run GUIs as SU without doing workarounds, then I won't use it.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

So long as the Wayland developers maintain their arrogant attitude about what users need to do and do not need to do as root, I'll not be using it.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    So long as the Wayland developers maintain their arrogant attitude about what users need to do and do not need to do as root, I'll not be using it.
    It's almost as if they forget this is Linux and the Admin user should be able to do whatever he/she wants to do at his/her own risk.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast