Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Xubuntu 18.04 extremely slow first run in VirtualBox

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Beans
    1,780
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

    Xubuntu 18.04 extremely slow first run in VirtualBox

    I've been experimenting with Xubuntu 18.04 in VirtualBox (5.1.30). The live media boots OK, loads the GUI OK, but it takes a surprisingly long time to load the Try/Install screen. Since this is a disposable VM, I click Install. That part goes fine. Reboot, enter my password to log in the new system, and...wow is it slow to load.

    At first, I thought this was just a glitch of some sort, that surely someone would notice and fix. But now, one month later, with the 2017-12-04 Xubuntu ISO, this is still the case.

    So I tried Ubuntu 18.04. And it appears to load fine, no unexpected slowness. Nor is there any slowness installing and using XFCE in Ubuntu 18.04. Nor on subsequent runs of Xubuntu 18.04.

    To give some sense of just how bad this slowness is, here are some approximate times. Identical VM specs for both.

    Xubuntu 16.04 new install: about 14 seconds between login and desktop loaded
    Xubuntu 18.04 new install: about 1min,36sec between login and desktop loaded

    Has anyone else experienced this?
    Xubuntu 18.04/MacBookPro9,1 ♦ Debian 9/Mageia 6/Xubuntu 16.04/VirtualBox
    If your questions are resolved to your satisfaction, please use Thread Tools > "Mark this thread as solved..."

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

    Re: Xubuntu 18.04 extremely slow first run in VirtualBox

    Not in vbox - but I see similar in kvm/qemu, though there I see the same problem with the Ubuntu 18.04 iso's.

    Did have similar issues during the last cycle using the same setup. Not sure what happened there - the issue just went away before I could dig a bit deeper.

    I also have the daily lined up to boot from grub - see the same behaviour there.

    Booted daily with a usb - slower than I expected, but not as slow as the others.

    I'll try and grab some time to check the same with the Ubuntu daily - then I'll see if I can get the ubiquity guy at Canonical interested ... he's generally interested

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    I think I'm here! Maybe?
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Xubuntu 18.04 extremely slow first run in VirtualBox

    I am not seeing that at all with my 18.04 64bit VM in that same version of VirtualBox so I wonder why you have such a problem. I also have Ubuntu and Lubuntu 18.04 running superbly as VMs at the moment.

    What hardware and how much ram have you allocated to the VM and how much video memory?
    I have 4GB ram allocated and the max 128MB video memory and though I have not timed it my VM is up and running in about an estimated 10 seconds.

    Do you have the correct guest additions installed or do you not bother to add them?
    Do you have 3D graphics enabled in the VM? If so, try disabling that as it really is not needed and may be causing this.

    My final comment is that I am finding this unreleased dev version of my favourite *ubuntu version almost faultless so far, unlike you.
    Last edited by ajgreeny; December 5th, 2017 at 10:24 PM. Reason: typos.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 18.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info --- SolvedThreads

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Beans
    1,780
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

    Re: Xubuntu 18.04 extremely slow first run in VirtualBox

    Thanks flocculant and ajgreeny for the replies!

    Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    What hardware and how much ram have you allocated to the VM and how much video memory?
    Physical hardware is a MacBook Pro 9,1 (see my signature). The VMs all have identical specs: 4 GB RAM, default amount of video memory (16MB), 1 CPU core, and 58 GB hard drive (only the one virtual SATA controller for both hard drive and CD drive).

    Do you have the correct guest additions installed or do you not bother to add them?
    The problem happens only when booting the ISO and on first login to the installed system. Which is all before I would have the chance to install Guest Additions. Subsequent runs are normal speed whether Guest Additions are installed or not (just timed one at about 11 seconds).

    Do you have 3D graphics enabled in the VM?
    Nope, no 3D acceleration.
    Xubuntu 18.04/MacBookPro9,1 ♦ Debian 9/Mageia 6/Xubuntu 16.04/VirtualBox
    If your questions are resolved to your satisfaction, please use Thread Tools > "Mark this thread as solved..."

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Halloween Town
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

    Re: Xubuntu 18.04 extremely slow first run in VirtualBox

    Not getting that also, in VMware with 4 GB Ram and with 3D Graphics enabled. That's with 2017-12-05 image.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Southern California, USA
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

    Re: Xubuntu 18.04 extremely slow first run in VirtualBox

    Quote Originally Posted by halogen2 View Post
    I've been experimenting with Xubuntu 18.04 in VirtualBox (5.1.30). The live media boots OK, loads the GUI OK, but it takes a surprisingly long time to load the Try/Install screen. Since this is a disposable VM, I click Install. That part goes fine. Reboot, enter my password to log in the new system, and...wow is it slow to load.

    At first, I thought this was just a glitch of some sort, that surely someone would notice and fix. But now, one month later, with the 2017-12-04 Xubuntu ISO, this is still the case.

    So I tried Ubuntu 18.04. And it appears to load fine, no unexpected slowness. Nor is there any slowness installing and using XFCE in Ubuntu 18.04. Nor on subsequent runs of Xubuntu 18.04.

    To give some sense of just how bad this slowness is, here are some approximate times. Identical VM specs for both.

    Xubuntu 16.04 new install: about 14 seconds between login and desktop loaded
    Xubuntu 18.04 new install: about 1min,36sec between login and desktop loaded

    Has anyone else experienced this?
    I get the exact same result using ISO live media hardware boot. If I access a virtual terminal, I see the red timing and it keeps counting down. It takes a minute or so to fully boot. Not sure what its looking for. Now I know someone else has the same issue, but I will check ubiquity logs.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Beans
    718

    Re: Xubuntu 18.04 extremely slow first run in VirtualBox

    Quote Originally Posted by VMC View Post
    I get the exact same result using ISO live media hardware boot. If I access a virtual terminal, I see the red timing and it keeps counting down. It takes a minute or so to fully boot. Not sure what its looking for. Now I know someone else has the same issue, but I will check ubiquity logs.
    If you are booting in live mode, ubiquity has nothing to do with the lateness to boot. The booting process is trying to mount something, and cannot do that. It is a grub problem. If you are trying to install, and there is some lateness, then it is an ubiquity problem.
    Last edited by Chanath; December 8th, 2017 at 08:50 AM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Southern California, USA
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

    Re: Xubuntu 18.04 extremely slow first run in VirtualBox

    The op stated:
    "I've been experimenting with Xubuntu 18.04 in VirtualBox (5.1.30). The live media boots OK, loads the GUI OK, but it takes a surprisingly long time to load the Try/Install screen. Since this is a disposable VM, I click Install. That part goes fine. Reboot, enter my password to log in the new system, and...wow is it slow to load."
    It is not a grub problem. "Try/Install" comes way after grub.

    Booting from USB flash, grub is not involved.


    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by VMC; December 8th, 2017 at 10:04 PM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Beans
    718

    Re: Xubuntu 18.04 extremely slow first run in VirtualBox

    The problem is with VirtualBox, not with Xubuntu 18.04.
    I just installed it in an MBR and a UEFI laptop. No problems encountered.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

    Re: Xubuntu 18.04 extremely slow first run in VirtualBox

    Quote Originally Posted by halogen2 View Post
    I've been experimenting with Xubuntu 18.04 in VirtualBox (5.1.30). The live media boots OK, loads the GUI OK, but it takes a surprisingly long time to load the Try/Install screen. Since this is a disposable VM, I click Install. That part goes fine. Reboot, enter my password to log in the new system, and...wow is it slow to load.

    At first, I thought this was just a glitch of some sort, that surely someone would notice and fix. But now, one month later, with the 2017-12-04 Xubuntu ISO, this is still the case.

    So I tried Ubuntu 18.04. And it appears to load fine, no unexpected slowness. Nor is there any slowness installing and using XFCE in Ubuntu 18.04. Nor on subsequent runs of Xubuntu 18.04.

    To give some sense of just how bad this slowness is, here are some approximate times. Identical VM specs for both.

    Xubuntu 16.04 new install: about 14 seconds between login and desktop loaded
    Xubuntu 18.04 new install: about 1min,36sec between login and desktop loaded

    Has anyone else experienced this?
    Do you still see this?

    I believe this was the fontconfig issue recently fixed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •