Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: no option to install along side windows 7 on an acer

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: no option to install along side windows 7 on an acer

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    how did you check the disk. windows disk check actualyl checks the file system. to check the drive itself you need to use diagnostic software made by manufacturer or you can also use the various freeware and opesource software - for example the one found on Ultimate Boot CD (UBCD)

a good tool for changing primary into secondary partition, move partitions etc. is mini tool partition wizzard.

needless to say do a disk clone before any work with partitions (i suggest Clonezilla or Redo Backup)
    yes, i used the windows chkdsk tools as that is what it said to do because it said disc had errors. the live lubuntu installer also said to check disc once and it did that on it's own. i've never had any luck with that ultimate boot cd thing.

when things calm down after the holidays, i'll pursue the issue of just installing lubunto on the whole disc, after making a backup of windows, and see how that goes. so stay tuned to this topic!!

thanks for the replies

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

to check the disk you need to use diagnostic software made by manufacturer. usually they are available for free on manufacturers website.

live lubuntu installer is likely checking the install disk (USB or DVD) for errors. that is if you are referring to "check disk for defects" option. it doesn't check the hard drive, i believe.

checkdisk searches for windows file system errors and corrects them. it can not correct the mechanical errors on the drive. it also can not check the linux file systems. FSCK does that for ext4 for example.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

"live lubuntu installer is likely checking the install disk (USB or DVD) for errors. that is if you are referring to "check disk for defects" option. it doesn't check the hard drive, i believe."

Different distros come with different disk checking programs. Even with the Live CD, you can temporarily install others. For example, GSmartControl lets you point at any drive in the system, and get the diagnostic info. No need to go to the manufacturer site.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12