Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
My friend told me he once lost all his work because Windows 10 automatically updated and restarted when he slept. In earlier Windows you could disable automatic update but in Win10 the option is no longer available except for pro or >. Is it really reasonable to expect home users to dish out the $$ for Windows pro?
My main laptop is a Windows 10 HP Pavilion. The latest "update" ran for me last week, yes, without any prompting from me to do so, rebooted my computer during the night while I was asleep, again, with no prompting to do so from me, and took an additional hour and another reboot to finish installing the next day. That was an enormous inconvenience for me because I was needing to use my laptop at the time but was forced to wait until the update was complete before the functionality was restored. That was the final straw for me to go and purchase a second laptop and dual boot it with Ubuntu. Before, I had several live boot USBs with various distros loaded that I had tried out. I have Debian, Fedora, Manjaro, Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, (had) Ubunutu 16.04 (now replaced with 17.10 which I used to load the dual boot) and Shark (which I had never heard of before). I also have a Kali VM loaded in VmWare on my main laptop. It was a toss up between Ubuntu and Mint for the dual boot. I tried to load Mint first, but got a kernel panic every time I tried to install it. Ubuntu installed right away and was easy as apple pie. The only issue I have run into so far is that the Realtek Wireless adapter is not supported. But I solved that issue by taking the wifi dongle from my Raspberry Pi2 and my wireless connection is absolutely golden. I only kept the Windows 10 partition because my wife was not thrilled about my spending money on a brand new laptop to immediately load a different OS on it. In her eyes, that was destroying it. So I did the dual boot, but will NOT use the Windows 10 partition at all.

Now, back on topic. I for one am glad that Linux will never be the "preferred OS" for the general masses. The main reason why Apple and Microsoft are so widely used is because $$$. Those two companies are multi $billion corporations. Linux is free. In order for Linux to become mainstream there would have to be $billions pumped into development and distribution. That burden would fall squarely on the shoulders of the consumers. Do we really want Linux to become the monsters that are Microsoft and Apple?