Thread: Lubuntu DVD Playback Issue

Beans

Lubuntu DVD Playback Issue

20171130_235202.jpg

Hello. I just freshly installed lubuntu on a 2002 Sony Vaio. My laptop has limited RAM so I choose the Artful Aardvark 17.10 Alternate 32-bit release. The install went fine but I've tried to play dvds and I get back an error that says "Playback was terminated abnormally. Reason: unrecognized file format." My laptop has a DVD-ROM drive, and my only media player is the GNOME MPLAYER, or GNOME MPV. I have tried several different dvds, but all to no avail- I get the same error every time. I was wondering, am I getting this problem because my laptop doesn't have the right hardware to play the dvds, or is it some other problem? Please let me know what the problem might be, and if there is anything I can do to fix it. Thanks!

P.S. I have posted a screenshot of the optical disk drive model number.

Beans

Re: Lubuntu DVD Playback Issue

Beans

I looked and my OS already has libdvdread4 installed. I got regionset in my downloads folder but I don't know how to install it. My laptop is offline only. What can I do?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Did you follow the link instructions EXACTLY??? Also, . . need to be online.
    Last edited by Geoffrey_Arndt; December 2nd, 2017 at 06:16 AM. Reason: typos
    Problem installing Ubuntu? . . Just get it "Preinstalled" (like you did for Windows!) . . http://linuxpreloaded.com/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Installing libdvd-pkg is the preferred way to install libdvdcss. Follow the instructions given while the package is installed. In case you miss it, in a terminal type/copy/paste the following command:

Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure libdvd-pkg