Thread: Customize top bar in 17.10?

Beans

Question Customize top bar in 17.10?

Hello,

I am a returning user to Ubuntu. I used it years ago, but due to work, I switched to 'doze. Well, now I'm back, and there are many things that I used to remember that simply don't seem to be there anymore...

For instance, I used to be able to put graphs for things like CPU usage, Network usage, RAM Usage, etc up in the bar at the top right corner (where the power/network/sound icons are).

I also used to be able to put 'applets' on my desktop. Things like showing current weather, system information, etc. I can't seem to find those anymore either.

And, one thing that I loved was compiz-fusion, which just looked cool... I did note one package which I haven't tried yet called wobbly windows that seems to do some of what compiz-fusion did, but nowhere near as comprehensive. Did it just die or am I missing it?

There are other things as well, but this is plenty to get started with. Can anyone help me?

Thanks

-ET

Beans

Re: Customize top bar in 17.10?

Ubuntu, in 17.10 has moved to using gnome-shell as the graphical environment as opposed to Unity.
    Unity is a plugin for the compiz window manager.
    gnome-shell is a plugin for the mutter window manager.
    If you replace mutter with compiz in the Ubuntu 17.10 session, you loose gnome-shell (panel, application overview etc) and are left with a blank desktop.

You can still install and use compiz in other desktop sessions.
    In the default Ubuntu 17.10 desktop you can install gnome-shell extensions to customize and add items the panel.
    install-gnome-extensions-ubuntu-17-10
    Last edited by again?; December 2nd, 2017 at 03:23 AM.