Thread: Please help me mount a network share, I'm losing my mind!

Beans

Question Please help me mount a network share, I'm losing my mind!

I'm pretty newb at linux environment and I'm trying to mount an NFS share from my NAS onto Lubuntu 14.04.1 on my OpenHour Chameleon

All my searching tells me to edit my /etc/fstab file. However when I open that file it's blank and says "UNCONFIGURED FSTAB FOR BASE SYSTEM". I put the following line in there and saved it, but obviously nothing happens.
    //192.168.0.5/volume1/Media /root/storage/SynologyNAS cifs username=XXXXX,password=XXXX
    I tried to do the mount manually in SSH with this command

sudo mount -t nfs 192.168.0.5:/volume1/Media /root/storage/SynologyNAS
    and I get the following error:

sudo: unable to resolve host lubuntu
    mount.nfs: No such device
    Then I read about the gui User Mount Tool, so I installed that, and the field is pre filled (I assume it grabs the info from my empty fstab file) and I get the error:

"mount: cant find /root/storage/SynologyNAS in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab
    What am I doing wrong (besides everything!) I have created the /storage/SynologyNAS/ folder in /root/ for the linkage. And I've had success in the past mounting the NAS folder into LibreELEC with an autostart.sh file. but I don't know where to put that here.

could someone help me please?

Beans

Re: Please help me mount a network share, I'm losing my mind!

a user on reddit helped me. I was unable to use sudo command due to an error in the /etc/hosts file. once I fixed that, I was able to use sudo commands. Installed cifs-utils and then was able to mount the share.
    full breakdown here - http://forum.openhourlab.com/showthread.php?tid=1323