Thread: Clarifying 2FA for Coinbase

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Clarifying 2FA for Coinbase

I’ve successfully set up Google Authenticator on my Android to secure my GitHub, my two Gmail accounts and my Coinbase. In the unlikely event that I lose my phone, there are ways of restoring 2 Factor Authentication. One way is by using a shared secret. Google calls it “back up codes” and Coinbase calls them “seeds”. I now have back up codes for my Gmail but am struggling to grapple with setting up seeds for Coinbase. Here is Coinbase's doc with a solution for those situations where an Android device has been lost.

The first solution:

If you've lost the device with your Authenticator app and DO have access to your secret seed code:

See how to restore your account here.
    That link takes you to a page which reads:

If you use Google Authenticator or a similar app to generate 2-factor authentication (2FA) codes and no longer have access to your device, you can restore this ability to another device if you saved the secret seed provided when setting up your 2FA device.
    There is no indication in that piece of documentation which explains how to generate and print seeds for Coinbase (like I was able to easily do with Google for Gmail).

Can anyone please clarify this? I feel like I am probably over thinking the issue. I’m sorry for making this more complicated than it needs to be.

Thanks for your attention.
    Last edited by Drone4four; November 26th, 2017 at 03:20 AM. Reason: grammar change + adding thanks
    My rig:
    IBM Personal System/2 Model 30-286 - - Intel 80286 (16 bit) 10 Mhz - - 1MB DRAM - - Integrated VGA Display adapter
    1.44MB capacity Floppy Disk - - PS/2 keyboard (no mouse)

Beans

Re: Clarifying 2FA for Coinbase

Have similar concern for my bittrex account.