Thread: Living life on the edge with the Beaver

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Living life on the edge with the Beaver

I enabled proposed, which I don't usually do and got many updates. I was hoping for the much hyped 4.14 kernel but, it was not in the queue.

I seen something on Facebook about 18.04 and the 4.14 kernel, which was the main reason I installed it. I imagine it will get here soon enough.
    I do not have anything to lose on this install anyway.

Bring on the breakage.

Has any one tried or is using Vivaldi? It's super IMO!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Living life on the edge with the Beaver

Hey there Cavsfan.
    The 4.14 kernel is very solid on 18.04 and 16.04.
    I just use the debs to install my kernels now. (Time being the main factor ) http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/
    Unless I have to triage bugs or breakage.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Living life on the edge with the Beaver

Hey there 1fallen!
    I may try that here on 18.04 and even 17.10, which I also have installed.
    I've read through some of Doug S' threads and when problems arise with a kernel, they seem to get it under control fairly quickly.
    I can always use the backup kernel as I've got that in the custom Grub menu now.

I think I'd leave 16.04 as is maybe. As you know I've got Arch Linux with the 4.13 kernel. The Arch 4.14 kernel is in development.

Have you tried Vivaldi web browser?

It's extremely low on resources and lightweight. I used FireFox for ever but, now I'm really liking Vivaldi.
    None of my Linux systems ever have a problem with 4GB memory but, Windows 10 is apparently a bit "needy" when it comes to that.
    I open 3 things and a box pops up saying I'm using too much memory and some applications will have to close.

I haven't seen that since I've been using Vivaldi exclusively.