Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cannot shut down or restart ubuntu 17.10

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Cannot shut down or restart ubuntu 17.10

I am clearly sounding like a broken record by now, but if Xenial works for you and does everything that you want, then don't upgrade to Aardvark. It is simply not necessary.

Your shutdown problem sounds like the same issue from the following recent thread: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....7#post13710597

There appears to be a problem with the latest kernel and either wpa-supplicant or network manager. If you are running Aardvark because you are helping either with the testing or the preparatory work for Beaver, then please add your experience to the launchpad report.

But if you are a general user who just wants to keep current, then please be aware that Ubuntu does not work like Windows and it is counter-productive to install non-LTS releases like Aardvark―which are good only for 9 months and are not as stable as LTS releases. Because Xenial (16.04) is an LTS, it is good until 2019 or 2021 depending on flavour. General users should stick with LTS releases and only upgrade to the next LTS (which will be Beaver 18.04). Leave those intervening releases to the guys who have no choice but to use them because of bleeding edge equipment, app requirements, etc. If your system is stable with Xenial, then stick with Xenial.

Beans

Im also having an issue similar to this, I cant suspend, shutdown, restart, or even close the lid on my laptop without the whole thing crashing. Same result from doing a `sudo shutdown -h now` command. Ive tried confiuring some of the files that are triggered by the different actions to use the pm-utils equivilant for each of the commands (pm-suspend for suspend, etc).

Most often i get a screen where the whole thing goes pixelated, with bars going across the screen. here is the imgur link for it: https://imgur.com/0CUWRgu
    I've also attached the output of the dmidecode command.

Im running Ubuntu 17.10 on a 'new razer blade stealth 2017 model, with an intel i7-7500 (dualcore processor). I've tried ubuntu 16.04 and had the same issues.

Also i found that some 3rd party drivers were available online, from https://openrazer.github.io/, i have these running and they work great for allowing me to control the lighting of the keyboard.

Also, not sure if its related to this or not, but i had to disable the capslock key on my keyboard because anytime i pressed it the same 'crash' would occur, with the screen going all pixelated and such.

Any help is much appreciated
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

I have the same issue. I had 17.04 and it worked fine but 17.10 has a lot of unfriendly issues.
    Last edited by zebullonpike; January 29th, 2018 at 10:44 PM. Reason: It says my TXT file is too big

Beans

I got the notice of an upgrade - so I upgrade 17.04 to 17.10 and it's worse than what I had before. If I reinstall something else then I will lose everything I have. It would be better if 17.10 is fixed and made better. Like a shutdown/restart function. Able to see what all apps are installed so I can un-install duplicates.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12