Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cannot shut down or restart ubuntu 17.10

Beans

Cannot shut down or restart ubuntu 17.10

Only 2 months experience with ubuntu (ie fairly ignorant as yet) & when I try to shut down or restart ubuntu 17.10 it sticks on the page with the row of 5 lights turning white then red in sequence under the ubuntu title (the splash screen?) - my only option is to hold down the power button until it switches off.
    Advice please!

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Cannot shut down or restart ubuntu 17.10

Hi,

There could possibly be something up with your hw's compatibility on 17.10's kernel. Did it used to work just fine on a previous Ubuntu release, and was this an upgrade? I'd suggest getting us the syslog to see if we can narrow this down. Can you take note of the time you shut it down, then share that timefrime as well as /var/log/syslog and /var/log/syslog.1? I'd also suggest running a:
    Code:
    sudo dmidecode > dmidedode.txt
    so that your hardware information is outputted to a text file that we can take a look at it. I forget if this is included in a default install, so if the above command fails, you can install dmidecode:
    Code:
    sudo apt install dmidecode

Beans

I also am unable to shut down normally and have to shut down manually.

But I can restart after manual shut down.

Fresh install of 17.10 on new Dell laptop running an AMD processor.
    Last edited by A.O._Stanley; November 17th, 2017 at 04:42 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by A.O._Stanley View Post
    I also am unable to shut down normally and have to shut down manually.

But I can restart after manual shut down.

Fresh install of 17.10 on new Dell laptop running an AMD processor.
    ^^
    Let's get your info as well. Could be related to the OP's. Can you try the commands from the post I mentioned for more information? Also, does
    Code:
    sudo shutdown -h now
    successfully shut your computer down, or does it hang?

Beans

shutdown command does not work, but thanks.

The dmidecode stuff gets no results. Also, you have a spelling error. Regardless, either way it's spelled gets no results.

When I shut down and get to the Ubuntu screen with dots, if I hit esc I get to a screen that shows 'stopped' processes. At the bottom it shows that it is trying to stop three additional processes but they don't want to stop. One, I think is WPA, next is Network manager, and there is one more. These do not stop so I'm guessing this is what is preventing the computer from shutting down.

Beans
    Hidden!

Sorry about the spelling error. Did the dmidecode work? Let's get the output of it. I was hoping that if we get your HW, this can be something we can solve by installing the right drivers. The dmidecode will be super useful for this. If this is anti-working, we can look into other means.

Beans

The dmidecode commands don't do anything.

The shutdown command didn't do anything.

When it's hanging, I hit esc and a screen appears that shows all the processes that have been stopped or are in the process of stopping. At the very end of the list I get:

A stop job is running for...

And the following three items cycle through, WPA supplicant, Raise network interfaces, Network manager.

They repeat every few seconds.

Don't know if any of that means anything

Beans
    Hidden!

No worries. The dmidecode commands were to get some information. What is the information with them? (they assume you have an internet connection). We probably can't get a straight up command that fixes everything (i hope so we can) but we need to see what's up with your system which is why I suggested the previous commands. If they still fail, can you get me the output of
    Code:
    cat /etc/lsb-release

Beans

Since this was a fresh install on a new machine and I was having other issues, as well, I just installed 16.04 and I'm not having anymore issues. I will try to upgrade from 16.04 and see how it goes.

Beans
    Hidden!

This is good news.
    If your reinstall really has solved this to your satisfaction please mark the thread as SOLVED from the Thread Tools menu at the top.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 18.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info --- SolvedThreads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast