Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cannot install Kubuntu from Ubuntu

Beans

Question Cannot install Kubuntu from Ubuntu

My recently installed the new Ubuntu and have had many issues. Therefore, I've been trying to install Kubuntu. However, whenever I burn the ISO onto my USB stick, it boots me into Grub. Where do I go from here?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Re: Cannot install Kubuntu from Ubuntu

It sounds like your system is trying to boot into the old installation. Are tapping F-12 when you boot your machine?

On new installations you should not be seeing the Grub menu unless it's not recognizing your USB and trying to boot to the old install like I stated
    Last edited by RobGoss; November 15th, 2017 at 02:12 PM.

Beans

Well I have to hit F9 to boot from the USB otherwise it will go to windows. In Grub when i execute the Return_Normal command it brings me to the new Ubuntu installation page...but when I choose any of the options, it tells me the Kernel must first be loaded...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

What version of Ubuntu do you have installed? Is this a dual boot in your first post you did not mention you were trying to setup a dual boot

Please try to give as much details as possible about what you're trying to accomplish here, this way we are on the same page. If you are trying to setup a dual boot I would recommend backing up any important data before you proceed. Trying to dual boot and not knowing what's involved can be problematic

Beans

No, I'm not trying to dual-boot. Originally I had Windows 10 Pro installed which came installed on my HP Laptop. I decided to completely wipe the Windows partitions because I wanted a strictly Ubuntu or Kubuntu installation. I do believe that something weird with the partitions happened, because when I power on my PC, it boots me into a sort of Windows recovery mode. From there, I have to go to troubleshoot->change EFI then reboot. When I reboot it then allows me to hit F9 to set me boot up disk. I then choose the Ubuntu installation.

After I installed Ubuntu, things never worked quite as they should. Plus, I prefer the Kubuntu flavour, so I decided to try to completely wipe the Ubuntu installation so I'm strictly left with Kubuntu. But now I'm left with the issue of getting booted into Grub...and I don't know how to install from Grub...I'm familiar with Linux but mostly the GUI, not when it comes to command-line and Grub.

Let me know if there's anything else that can help.

I tried to use UNetBootin to burn the ISO onto my USB stick, but when I install the app then try to launch it, I get the error attached. And Just FYI, attached is my disk partitions.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by howefield; November 17th, 2017 at 01:24 PM. Reason: posts combined.

Beans

You can also just use the forum's attachment facility to upload images here. It's the little paper-clip icon above the posting text box. If you don't see it, click on Go Advanced below the posting text box.

Beans

Ok, I edited it. Still can't install Kubuntu though

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I would just do a fresh installation of Kubuntu if this is your flavor you want then choose to erase the entire disk and install Kubuntu that way you shouldn't have any issues with the partition. I would also use https://www.pendrivelinux.com/univer...easy-as-1-2-3/ to create your boot media it seems to work well for me

Beans

I just tried that. When I try to run the program, I get this same error message like always:

Is there a way just to do it from Grub? Or is that going to be really difficult?

I also wanted to mention that the LINK you wrote only has a .EXE installation,

Man, I'd do anything for an official Kubuntu installation DVD right now.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by howefield; November 17th, 2017 at 01:24 PM. Reason: posts combined.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

What are the specs for this machine including the model, Ram, Graphic card and so on

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast