Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Firefox 57

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Firefox 57

Quote Originally Posted by Geekboy View Post
    Yes, it's Windows. I'd love to do the same with Ubuntu. I'm running on a small Lenovo laptop and would love to reclaim the vertical space if possible.
    As far as I know Ubuntu doesn't have a title bar. If you are referring to the bar across the top with the Date, Time, and icon to select Log Out, Suspend, Shutdown and other items as a title bar.

The about:config preference "browser.tabs.drawInTitlebar" is already set to "false" as the default setting in the Ubuntu version of Firefox.

Beans

This may help when Fx 59 comes around: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/11/f...dds-csd-option

Beans
    Hidden!

I have just tried the FF59 nightly release and it does exactly what you want, ie, it gets rid of the titlebar at the top which is from your window manager, therefore releasing more screen to the window itself.

On my Lubuntu 16.04 old netbook it is worth using, though at this stage I have no idea how well it can be trusted, but it's certainly working OK at the moment.

Note that as mentioned in vasa1's link, it has to be restarted after deselecting titlebar in the Customise window for the titlebar to disappear.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 16.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info --- SolvedThreads

Beans

I took a look at the CSD option in Fx 59 with Kubuntu 18.04. It worked as advertised but the middle icon (resize/maximize) seemed somewhat "nibbled away" but hovering over it showed some sort of elaborate design. The minimize and close icons were fine.

Edit: I think I remember reading that "tabs in title bar" has been available for Windows for quite some time. Maybe that's where the poster got the images from.

IIRC, 16.04 uses gtk 3.18. And according to https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1283299, gtk 3.20 is required. I didn't read the bug to the end so things may be different!
    Last edited by vasa1; November 25th, 2017 at 06:29 PM.

Beans

The number of crashes has me ready to throw in the towel

I've never experienced this many browser crashes, ever

Beans

The Developer Tools in FF are not quite as good as the old Firebug ones.

Beans

More appearance tweaks described in http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/12/f...s-linux-themes

Beans

And just came across VivaldiFox!
    An add-on that allows colouring Firefox in a Vivaldi style fashion.

Beans

Has anyone actually noticed a performance improvement over the older Firefox?

Or could anyone actually say that Firefox is now faster than any other browser?

The only improvement I've noticed is that the new default layout is pretty good. I can use it out-of-box with only a few very minor tweaks (adding a separate search box and adding a bookmarks toolbar being the biggies), but otherwise it's just nothing to write home about. I certainly don't see any speed improvement, in fact it's more resource hungry on lower end hardware.

Since I've had to switch my lower end hardware to either Chrome, Chromium, or Vivaldi why bother with Firefox at all now? I wish I could add a true search box to the toolbar in Chromium. If that were possible Chromium would become my new default browser. I'm really leaning towards Vivaldi because it's so easily customized but there are rare websites (like The CW) that refuse to stream on it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I see almost no reduction in memory usage though page loading seems faster. There appears to be little advantage over chromium based browsers in my experience so far.
    “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can".

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast