Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Xubuntu 18.04 working well.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Xubuntu 18.04 working well.

No particular problems to report but I have just created a new VM installation of Xubuntu 18.04 64 bit system using VBox 5.1.30, which is all working well.

The minor difficulties I have seen so far have been the same problems already reported in the default Ubuntu 18.04 system such as gdebi not being available from a right click -> open with in the file manager as discussed at https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2377258 with the bug at https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...i/+bug/1719746.

Looking good so far though I'm aware there is a long way to go with both versions of 18.04, but I am very hopeful fpor them both as things stand at present.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Xubuntu 18.04 working well.

I've got 18.04 working pretty well too. I installed Ubuntu from an ISO yesterday and today I turned it (pretty much) into Xubuntu by installing all of the Xfce stuff from Synaptic.

I no longer have any problems with Synaptic and was able to install the Nvidia driver, Cairo Dock, Compiz along with the cube and everything is smooth as silk.

I installed Vivaldi, which is a lightweight browser an offshoot of Chrome. It uses much less resources than Firefox or any other browser I'm pretty sure.
    You can add the stable deb to Ubuntu from here https://vivaldi.com/ either 32 or 64 bit. I use it everywhere even on Windows 10.

A couple of screenshots:

This may all blow up later since this is so early but, looking good for now.

Chanath is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    No particular problems to report but I have just created a new VM installation of Xubuntu 18.04 64 bit system using VBox 5.1.30, which is all working well.

The minor difficulties I have seen so far have been the same problems already reported in the default Ubuntu 18.04 system such as gdebi not being available from a right click.
    There is no problem of Gdebi working on right click in Xubuntu 18.04. Just install it in bare metal. Never had any problems with Xubuntu for few years. This edition would also be the same, trouble less use.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Chanath View Post
    There is no problem of Gdebi working on right click in Xubuntu 18.04. Just install it in bare metal. ...
    I wonder why a virtual machine would not be able to do the job

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    I wonder why a virtual machine would not be able to do the job
    What the use of testing on a virtual machine?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

What the use of testing on a virtual machine?
    Using virtual machines in QA testing, allow testers to emulate different computers with different OS’s on a single physical computer or create a whole virtual lab, with several differently configured virtual machines. These virtual computers work independently from each other and you can launch two or more virtual platforms simultaneously on one computer, saving the cost of having to purchase more hardware just to run your QA tests. Applications running on a virtual machine behave as if they were running on their own physical system. This is very useful for testing applications and allows testers to test the software under various platforms using a single computer.

Beans

I thought that Chanath, in post #3, was implying that this particular feature (gdebi on right-click) would only work on bare metal and not in a VM.

As for "What the use of testing on a virtual machine?" there's https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QATeam/DevelopmentSetup

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

It is possible I was speaking too fast, stupid of me maybe, but having installed gdebi in Ubuntu 18.04 I also added it to Xubuntu 18.04 and immediately edited the gdebi.desktop file, adding the %U suffix to the Exec line, assuming it was going to be necessary; I know, I should not make assumptions, but I did, as we all have done sometimes.

Removing that %U suffix does not remove the ability of the file manager to find gdebi on a right click of a .deb package, as was the case in a standard Ubuntu installation, so perhaps Chanath is correct and thunar would have seen it without that edit to the .desktop file.

If I have time I may start again with another installation of Xubuntu 18.04 with a newer daily .iso to see if Chanath or I was correct. I will report back when and if I get time to do that.

None of this changes my comment that the system is working extremely well and is still looking very good.

Beans

The installation works quite differently in virtual environment than in bare metal. If we are checking out a distro, the virtual environment is quite all right, but if we are testing, it should be on bare metal. You don't need much to install Xubuntu, just about 4GB partition. If anyone can spare at least 8GB, that's enough for testing. These days, laptops normally have 1TB, most have 500GB. An installation on bare metal gives you real results.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The installation works quite differently in virtual environment than in bare metal. If we are checking out a distro, the virtual environment is quite all right, but if we are testing, it should be on bare metal. You don't need much to install Xubuntu, just about 4GB partition. If anyone can spare at least 8GB, that's enough for testing. These days, laptops normally have 1TB, most have 500GB. An installation on bare metal gives you real results.
    +1. Also I find my graphics hardware are not fully tested. In the past, when all seems well using vm, then comes the release, then bare metal install. then the issues start. I never use vm since!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast