Thread: Cannot install 17.10 on Mac hardware because of a UEFI issue

Beans

Cannot install 17.10 on Mac hardware because of a UEFI issue

I believe this is linked to the Linux kernel 4.13 rather than Ubuntu specifically (I have seen people with the same issue on Fedora running 4.11).

Trying to run the Ubuntu installer (and presumably the OS) gives the following error on my 2009 MacBook Pro 17" and my 2015 MacBook Pro 13" retina:

Code:
    Couldn't get size: 0x800000000000000e
    MODSIGN: Couldn't get UEFI db list
    Couldn't get size: 0x800000000000000e

Does anyone know a workaround for this?
    I believe others have disabled Secure Boot on non-Apple hardware, is there some similar trick that will work on a MacBook Pro?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Cannot install 17.10 on Mac hardware because of a UEFI issue

May want to see this, lots of issues, settings, work arounds required:
    Apple's Late-2016 MacBook Pro Is Still A Wreck With Linux
    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...ux-wreck&num=1
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    May want to see this, lots of issues, settings, work arounds required:
    Apple's Late-2016 MacBook Pro Is Still A Wreck With Linux
    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...ux-wreck&num=1
    Thank you oldfred!

My MacBooks are the older models that used to work OK with various Linux flavours. I've had Mint running on them for example.
    The problem seems to be specific to the 4.11+ kernels. I see that the 4.14 contains some improvements to EFI support.

I guess I'll need to opt for an older kernel for now and wait until the 18.04 release of Ubuntu which I believe will ship with 4.14.
    Last edited by jim-4; November 14th, 2017 at 03:09 AM.

Beans

Have you tried "noefi" on the grub kernel command line? That is what I needed for my old macpro1,1 when I upgraded from 16.04 (4.4 kernel) to 17.04 (4.10 kernel).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kevin160 View Post
    Have you tried "noefi" on the grub kernel command line? That is what I needed for my old macpro1,1 when I upgraded from 16.04 (4.4 kernel) to 17.04 (4.10 kernel).
    Thank you for the tip!
    I've actually given up and sold my 2011 MBP 17". I might attempt this again with my 2015 model - I'll post back here with my results if so.

Beans

I had the same issue until I burned the iso to a disc. Then I re-inserted it and hit restart before it can reject it as unreadable. After the start up chime, hold down option.

Choose "Windows" instead of any of the EFI boots. That launched the installer for me.

This article mentioned in its lengthy, but helpful, paragraphs that, "(It may be mis-labelled as "Windows.")"
    Last edited by hotsalad; March 13th, 2018 at 05:43 AM.

Beans

For anyone in the future that may come across this issue with old macbooks i found a solution. After you are able to get into the grubloader by holding down the option key, highlight "install ubuntu" and press "e". In the line that begins with "Linux" you need to add "nomodeset" and "noefi" to the kernel command line.... you will enter these two before the "---" at the end and after the last word which is usually splash something make sure you have a space between nomodeset and noefi.. Furthermore, dont connect to the internet until after its successful to avoid any further headaches.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by shaynepollard1987 View Post
    For anyone in the future that may come across this issue with old macbooks i found a solution. After you are able to get into the grubloader by holding down the option key, highlight "install ubuntu" and press "e". In the line that begins with "Linux" you need to add "nomodeset" and "noefi" to the kernel command line.... you will enter these two before the "---" at the end and after the last word which is usually splash something make sure you have a space between nomodeset and noefi.. Furthermore, dont connect to the internet until after its successful to avoid any further headaches.
    Man...you are awesome! It worked for me!