Thread: o2em - not finding allegro 4.0

Beans

Angry o2em - not finding allegro 4.0

I have o2em, and even though I've installed liballegro4.4, it still gives me a message saying:
    error while loading shared libraries: liballeg.so.4.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    I cannot find allegro 4.0 on launchpad, and I can't even manually do it because I don't have my environment table for djgpp. I've never heard of it, and this is starting to feel pointless, because I just wanted to play a stupid game in the first place, not going deeper and deeper finding packages. Is therean easier solution to this?

Beans

Re: o2em - not finding allegro 4.0

sudo apt install liballegro4.4 from terminal

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I downloaded the zip file from its website and, wow it's from 2004! Well, first of all, I'm pretty sure the binary is 32bit. Also, I'll assume here that you are on a 64bit installation. So, you could try installing the 32bit version of liballegro4.4 with:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install liballegro4.4:i386
    Since library packages have been made multiarch, the 32bit version of liballeg.so.4.4 resides in /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/allegro/ instead of where, I'm assuming, o2em is looking for the file anyway, that is, in /usr/lib/allegro/.

Here's an idea: you could try creating a soft link named /usr/lib/allegro/liballeg.so.4.0 that will point to /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/allegro/liballeg.so.4.4 or something along those lines. You might, also, need to do the same for the rest of the allegro library files.

Hope that helps somehow.

Beans

Thank you for solving that! But a new problem popped up. It says
    undefined symbol: _accel_driver
    >

Beans

BUMP. There has to be some kind of solution!

Beans

The easy solution is to not use o2em; M.A.M.E. (Multi Arcade Machine Emulator) and MESS (Multi Emulator Super System) are one project since 2015 and the MAME binaries in the repositories should contain everything needed to emulate the Odyssey 2 and its variants. Although I have to admit that getting MAME or MESS to do exactly what you want is another rabbit hole down which one can vanish ...

Holger

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Holger_Gehrke View Post
    The easy solution is to not use o2em; M.A.M.E. (Multi Arcade Machine Emulator) and MESS (Multi Emulator Super System) are one project since 2015 and the MAME binaries in the repositories should contain everything needed to emulate the Odyssey 2 and its variants. Although I have to admit that getting MAME or MESS to do exactly what you want is another rabbit hole down which one can vanish ...

Holger
    The problem is is that I’ve tried to use Mame, but when I load the game ‘trans american rally’, it doesn’t load properly, and I see four zeroes on the top. Am I using the wrong system? Because it’s a videopac plus game.

Beans

There is a separate core for those, named "Videopac Plus G7400" in the menu. As I don't have that game or any other games that need this, I can't tell you whether it is any good, but the status display of mame says "Overall: working Graphics Imperfect, Sound OK".

Holger