Thread: Hello and have an immediate problem

Beans

Hello and have an immediate problem

Hello I am new to Ubuntu proper as I have used it briefly years ago but Windows was still going strong then but Windows now seems to be going in a direction I don't really appreciate.
    Now my first immediate problem is my printer and it is not included in the listings of printers that can be installed in Ubuntu and apart from buying one that does which entails a fair amount of financial loss to me I am stuck for what I can do. So any advice would be most appreciated.

As for replies to this thread I am also not sure how one is notified of replies can someone please fill me in on this too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Hello and have an immediate problem

What's the printer?
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!

We have a Printer troubleshooting guide
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingPrintingProblems

Go there and follow appropriate guidelines for your case and while doing that if any errors please let us know.

Thanks
    Raja
    Dont miss anything even it is small. one small pin is enough to bring down a man.

Beans

Hello and thanks for the reply the printer is an HP Officejet 8600 pro but I am also having many problems with Ubuntu now because the version I had before had an orange screen and was so easy to navigate at the moment I have a blank desktop except for one icon which opens up to show docs pics etc but nothing to see what is happening in the drive. There are no apps which I thought were supposed to be downlaoded with the install and one downlaod I tried ti install myself -Libre Office which I use in Windows and find very good but have no idea of how to install it form the download.

I am wondering if I have done the right thing by taking so much time and effort in installing Ubuntu and that I may have to put up with that awful Windows 10.

Any help would really be appreciated because I thought this would be the best alternative to Windows 7 when it falls off the planet. If I have downloaded the wrong version I would be most appreciative if someone could guide me to a version I will find a little more user friendly.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by icit2 View Post
    Hello and thanks for the reply the printer is an HP Officejet 8600 pro but I am also having many problems with Ubuntu now because the version I had before had an orange screen and was so easy to navigate at the moment I have a blank desktop except for one icon which opens up to show docs pics etc but nothing to see what is happening in the drive. There are no apps which I thought were supposed to be downlaoded with the install and one downlaod I tried ti install myself -Libre Office which I use in Windows and find very good but have no idea of how to install it form the download.
    I found this for your printer http://bastian.rieck.ru/blog/posts/2...ejet_pro_8600/

You'd better start a different thread for your blank desktop problem, don't forget to tell us the Ubuntu version and your hardware.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by icit2 View Post
    As for replies to this thread I am also not sure how one is notified of replies can someone please fill me in on this too.
    I'll answer this now, but if you have any other questions about using the forum software, you are very welcome to ask in the Forum Feedback & Help section.

To subscribe to a thread, click on the Thread Tools dropdown near the top right of the thread. Then click on "Subscribe to the this thread". You'll then have a choice of notification types. "Through my control panel" isn't very well expressed. To access your control panel, you click on the "settings" link near the top right of any page. Once you have 10 beans (posts in support areas) you will be able to auto-subscribe to all threads you post to through General Settings in your settings page.
    Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Thanks for the printer link and ok I will start a fresh thread on my other concerns.

Beans