Thread: wild Linux sightings and your Linux story

Beans

wild Linux sightings and your Linux story

Hello i have just recently switched to Ubuntu Linux from windows 10. being a long term windows user before Linux i knew there would be challenges, but i have found that 95% of my programs work on Linux out of the box or run great in wine. and if i ever had an issue i could find a resolution in minutes on the internet.

Even though i have limited experience with the OS i already think it is far superior to other operating systems out there. but i started looking around public places when people where using PC`s to see what OS`s they where using. but i never came across someone using a Linux PC. so that got me thinking how many people have you the community seen using Linux in the wild and how long have you been using it.

i just thought it would be cool to find out how common Linux PC`s are and maybe share some Linux stories. please post your wild Linux sightings so me and other members of the community that might have a similar question can get the information they have been looking for.
    thanks.
    Last edited by ajgreeny; November 4th, 2017 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Wall of text paragraphed (if there be such a word)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: wild Linux sightings and your Linux story

You'll get more responses if you use paragraphs and correct grammar so people can read your post more easily (or be bothered to).

You'll notice that in some episodes of the English comedy, 'The IT Crowd', that Moss has a Ubuntu sticker on the lid of his laptop. One would assume Moss is an avid user!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Hello because7892,

Welcome to the Ubuntu Forum.

I started using Linux prior to the end of support for Windows XP in 2014 and have no regrets.
    I have also found these two links to be invaluable along with the Ubuntu forum.

https://linuxjourney.com/

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/

I really haven't seen anyone using Linux in public places bars / coffee shops etc.

What I see is people using Android tablets / Apple ipads / laptops / Microsoft Surface Tablets / laptops.
    I have found most people are not aware of what Linux even is only Android / Apple / Microsoft Windows.

The PoorGuy
    Last edited by poorguy; November 4th, 2017 at 02:59 PM.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans
    Hidden!

I have been using one or other of the *ubuntu family since early 2005, version 5.04, after looking for an alternative to WinXP.

Having a near friend who was a Unix system engineer who was using RedHat, I think, and as he was more used to these systems, Linux was suggested to me, and there I was, caught in the Ubuntu web where I have been ever since. I have tried many, many other distros but have always come back here as I am just more comfortable using the debian background system of apt, dpkg etc etc, for all system management, and for me it has now largely become second nature; I have had no major problems with any of these OSs in those 12 years.

I do on occasion see other people using versions of *ubuntu in particular, but as far as I'm aware have never seen any other distros in the wild. And don't forget Dr Sheldon Cooper of Big Bang Theory, exclaims: "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system!"

I occasionally have to use Win10 for some local volunteer work that I do, and it very quickly becomes obvious to me that everything about Linux, and Xubuntu in particular, in my case, makes so much more sense to me that the palaver of using Windows to do anything except simply create files or consume media, ie music, video, etc etc, though I understand playing video is no longer as straightforward as it used to be.

Thank goodness for those who expend a lot of time and effort to make us this great OS; long may it continue.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 18.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info --- SolvedThreads

Beans
    Distro

I'm sitting at the dining room table, browsing the forum pages and enjoying a glass of https://puritybrewing.com/beers/pure-ubu/.

Does this qualify as Ubuntu in the wild?

Cheers

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tea for one View Post
    I'm sitting at the dining room table, browsing the forum pages and enjoying a glass of https://puritybrewing.com/beers/pure-ubu/.

Does this qualify as Ubuntu in the wild?

Cheers
    I often go to my local bar and grill and have lunch and throw down shots of "Wild Turkey 101" while using my Linux laptop.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)