Thread: How To Install .tar.xz Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Unhappy How To Install .tar.xz Files

Hi Everyone

My Name Is Yasir Rehman.

I Want To Install Wine In My PC I'm Using Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS (32bits).
    I Downloaded Wine.tar.xz File But I Don't Know How To Install It.

Google Search Didn't Worked For Me What I Learned From Google.

Code:
    tar xf filename.tar.xz
    But It Just Extracts The .tar.xz file How To Install It.
    Please Answer With A Little More Details Because I'm A N0ob.

Beans

Re: How To Install .tar.xz Files

Thread moved to the "Wine" forum.

Wine is available to install via the Software Centre, any particular reason for downloading a tar.xz file ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver
    My Internet Is Slow

Quote Originally Posted by howefield View Post
    Thread moved to the "Wine" forum.

Wine is available to install via the Software Centre, any particular reason for downloading a tar.xz file ?
    What's Software Center ??
    Last edited by vasa1; November 1st, 2017 at 12:42 PM. Reason: merged

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by hazard-droid View Post
    What's Software Center ??
    It is the orange icon in the launcher that looks like a shopping bag with an "A" on it. Or press the Windows key (called the Super key in Ubuntu) and start typing "software". The Software Centre should appear as the first result. Most common applications can be installed directly from there and will be automatically updated.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by hazard-droid View Post
    But It Just Extracts The .tar.xz file How To Install It.
    Please Answer With A Little More Details Because I'm A N0ob.
    You have fallen into a common newbie trap. This following advice applies to more than just Wine - it applies to all routinely installed software.

If you are new to Ubuntu do not install software from downloaded tar.xz files, except in rare cases. In most cases the contents of the tar.xz file needs to be compiled. This is a totally unnecessary complication, particularly for a newcomer, because most of the software you will need will be already precompiled for you in what is known as software repositories, accessible from the software centre or other package managers. Coldraven has explained what Software Centre is. You can install the repository version of Wine with a few mouse clicks with it. If you need more advice and information about installing software generally and how to use package managers, you are very welcome to start a new thread in New to Ubuntu. There are plenty on this forum who will help you.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

You can also download a guide to Ubuntu 16.04 from http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Getting Started with Ubuntu 16.04 is a comprehensive beginners guide for the Ubuntu operating system. It is written under an open source license and is free for you to download, read, modify and share.
    The manual will help you become familiar with everyday tasks such as surfing the web, listening to music and scanning documents. With an emphasis on easy to follow instructions, it is suitable for all levels of experience.