Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recent issues with NFS shares (various 17.10 flavors)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Recent issues with NFS shares (various 17.10 flavors)

Hello,

I have a weird issue on a computer running Ubuntu, and one Xubuntu, both 17.10. Another computer, running 16.04.3, does not have this issue.
    On the 17.10 computers, I cannot cut, move or rename files on NFS shares from the window manager (true for Nautilus on Ubuntu, and Thunar on Xubuntu). No problem at all from the command line, and permissions are correct, but within the window manager these actions are not possible (nothing happens) and the corresponding entries on a right click are grayed.
    Any idea what's going on? I *think* it's only been for a few days (ie after some recent upgrade) but I'm not positive when that might have happened nor which package change might have triggered this.
    This is really annoying as most of my files are on an NFS-mounted share... (no issue mounting the same share using CIFS, BTW, but I need NFS because I use symbolic links that are not handled by CIFS).

Any help much appreciated, I haven't found anything relevant online.

Thanks in advance!!

PS just noticed this is likely a duplicate of https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2375595 - didn't find it when looking at the time.
    Last edited by kalyp; November 1st, 2017 at 07:47 PM. Reason: added the PS.

Beans

Re: Recent issues with NFS shares (various 17.10 flavors)

Run nautilus from a terminal, so that you can see the error messages when you browse the NFS server.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks! I should have thought of this one however, no error. See attached screenshot. No error either when I drag a file to a folder attempting to move it.
    Selection_001.jpg

Beans

Hmm, what happens when you try cp and mv from the command line?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Works with no problem, which is why I'm so puzzled, it doesn't look like a permission issue.
    Note that from nautilus I can copy, but not paste (pasting locally is fine, not to a NFS share). Impossible operations are move, rename, cut, paste, and new folder (anything that writes to the NFS share within nautilus / thunar). All of these are totally fine via a terminal.
    Thanks

Beans

I got exact same issue. nothing show up in /var/logs neither. This is one of those things I*HATE about Linux (I've been using Ubuntu since 8.04 continuously). Ubuntu staff just decided to make some small changes just to prove rest of users that we are still newbie thus these Ubuntu employees feel good about themselves... sigh...
    Last edited by kngharv; January 25th, 2018 at 01:12 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Bumping this thread just in case someone has more information since November. I still have this issue, which is incredibly annoying as most of my files are on NFS share and that makes nautilus/thunar useless - I have to do everything from a terminal.
    Thanks!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kalyp View Post
    Bumping this thread just in case someone has more information since November. I still have this issue, which is incredibly annoying as most of my files are on NFS share and that makes nautilus/thunar useless - I have to do everything from a terminal.
    Thanks!
    I have the same issue as well. This it doesn't matter what kind of file manager I*use: nautilus, nemo, etc, all graphical file manager will have this permission issue.

if i log in through terminal, everything works fine, mv, rm, etc.

and apparently you and I are the only two person uses graphical file manager over NFS?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Hello kngharv, please start a new thread to get help with your issue in the appropriate forum with a descriptive title instead of posting in an old thread you are more lie to get the help you need.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Doesn't it make more sense to keep both our issues together since it seems to be the exact same one? kngharv, if you start a new thread, please post it here so that I can subscribe to it.
    It does appear we are the only two persons using graphical file managers over NFS, yes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast