Thread: Veracrypt - how to mount volume using Terminal?

Beans

Veracrypt - how to mount volume using Terminal?

Hi.

Basically - title is the question.

I simply want to make it easier to mount one or more volume without using the gui to browse for container file and then browse for mounting folder - because that is just so tedious, especially since I always mount one or two volumes into the excact same folder each time.

The online documentation for Veracrypt does tell how to use command line, but that is for Windows only.

Is there anyone that have ever successfully mounted a Veracrypt file container into a folder using Linux?
    not decided what to write here yet

Beans

Re: Veracrypt - how to mount volume using Terminal?

update.

I also posted a similar question on Veracrypt home page:
    https://sourceforge.net/p/veracrypt/...read/6db864e1/

So I'm almost there - but haven't figured out how to specify "iocharset=utf8" option on command line. I hope you guys at this forum is experienced users of Terminal and can provide help.

Beans

I'm still no closer to solve this issue.

Reading the man page for mount and for Veracrypt, one should think that --fs-iocharset=utf8 should be the argument to use, but no - instead I just get this stupid error message "Unknown long option". . .

I have tried the following commands but without success (same error message for all)
    veracrypt -t --fs-iocharset=utf8 /media/filecontainer.db /home/sprinterdriver/fat-volume/
    veracrypt -t --iocharset=utf8 /media/filecontainer.db /home/sprinterdriver/fat-volume/
    veracrypt -t --fs--iocharset=utf8 /media/filecontainer.db /home/
    sprinterdriver/fat-volume/
    veracrypt -t -v --fs-iocharset=utf8 /media/filecontainer.db /home/sprinterdriver/fat-volume/
    veracrypt -t -v --fs-iocharset=utf8,codepage=866 /media/filecontainer.db /home/sprinterdriver/fat-volume/
    veracrypt -t --fs-iocharset utf8 /media/filecontainer.db /home/sprinterdriver/fat-volume/
    veracrypt -t --fs -iocharset=utf8 /media/filecontainer.db /home/sprinterdriver/fat-volume/

Beans

I'm just guessing, since I don't use veracrypt, but have you tried '--fs-options="iocharset=utf8" '? mencoder uses a similar syntax for options to pass to ffmpeg ...

Or -- if the graphical version acts just as a frontend and calls the command line version to do the actual work - you could mount your container using the frontend and then do a 'ps ax|grep vera' (ps cuts off the command at end of line if it detects it's doing output to a terminal; if its writing to a pipe or a file it doesn't ...) and will then see the correct syntax ...

Holger
    Last edited by Holger_Gehrke; November 13th, 2017 at 12:29 AM. Reason: second idea added

Beans

Tank you very much for your help, Holger.

Haven't tested yet with filenames full of Ø and Æ characters yet, but the mounting of the volume seems to works just fine.