Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 17.10 (Artful Aardvark) Known bugs and work-a-rounds

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

17.10 (Artful Aardvark) Known bugs and work-a-rounds

It seems I missed this, the last release, so here we are again with the latest release, Artful Aardvark (17.10). Unity has been dropped as the default desktop environment, with Gnome-shell taking it's place.

Canonical has done a great job integrating some customization into Gnome-shell, but that also brings along a few problems. You can use either Xorg or Wayland when you log in, but you should be aware that Wayland will not work with proprietory drivers (Nvidia) you need to run the Nouveau drivers if you want to use it.

Using Wayland causes problems with authentication. Synaptic, or using application as a root will not work unless you open a terminal and type the following command:

Code:
    xhost +si:localuser:root
    This will only work for the current session, so after a reboot you'll have to run the command again.

So far there isn't any other work-a-round to make the setting stick.

Automatic login not working:

1. in Settings->Details->User switch off automatic login
    2. then log off
    3. Log back in
    4. Re-enable automatic login
    5. Reboot

Note: If you have a problem and don't have a solution, don't post anything here. Create a new thread for help with your problem.
    Last edited by cariboo; October 28th, 2017 at 08:34 PM. Reason: added info

Beans

Re: 17.10 (Artful Aardvark) Known bugs and work-a-rounds

Nvidia doesn't support VDPAU on Wayland. If you need video acceleration on nvidia cards, you should stick with the X.org session.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Totem movie play back is broken in Wayland though works in the Ubuntu on Xorg session . Work around for playing movies is Wayland is VLC on my machine.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

If upgrade from 17.04 to 17.10 and have no internet, try

credit beameup: This link:
    Code:
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/622470/dns-probe-finished-bad-config-error-in-ubuntu-14-04/622493#622493

Which says:
    I solved this error by deleting /etc/resolv.conf and recreating the symbolic link.

You can do that using the following commands:

Code:
    sudo rm /etc/resolv.conf
    sudo ln -s ../run/resolvconf/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf
    sudo resolvconf -u

execute those lines one at a time
    I added
    Code:
    sudo service network-manager restart
    worked for me!
    Last edited by Kris_M; October 23rd, 2017 at 01:34 AM. Reason: Updated the link to point to the original solution
    - ThinkPad T570-20HA, i7-7600U, 2.8GHz, UEFI/GPT, 16GB, Sammy 512GB M.2 . Mint 21, Ubuntu 22.04.1, win. -

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Note: I boot "Gnome on xorg" (choose in icon at password box) as I am running 387.x Nvidia driver.

status icons on top bar:
    Couldn't get these.

fix:
    (in Gnome 3.26, bottom status bar is no more and icons are moved to top bar.)

I had uninstalled kstatusnotifieritem hoping that would help(I had it from 17.04)(had Software uninstall it). It didn't help.

Now I read that it is intentionally packaged with 17.10 Gnome.
    http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/08/u...s-ubuntu-17-10
    So I just put it back on with the extension link from the above link.
    So it has been uninstalled and installed since upgrade from 17.04 . I think this is important.

Now I can dependably boot and have both system monitor and status icons appear on the desktop top bar.
    Interestingly software doesn't think it is installed, whereas before it did.

What is off in tweak extensions in screenshot is very important. (I later deleted 2 topicon extensions w no prob. .local/share/gnome-shell/extensions/ )
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Kris_M; October 22nd, 2017 at 04:44 AM.
    - ThinkPad T570-20HA, i7-7600U, 2.8GHz, UEFI/GPT, 16GB, Sammy 512GB M.2 . Mint 21, Ubuntu 22.04.1, win. -

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Gnome desktop icons huge - start nautilus (files) , click settings (3 horizontal bars), click minus sign - you'll get the idea!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo View Post
    Using Wayland causes problems with authentication. Synaptic, or using application as a root will not work unless you open a terminal and type the following command:

Code:
    xhost +si:localuser:root
    This will only work for the current session, so after a reboot you'll have to run the command again.

So far there isn't any other work-a-round to make the setting stick.
    I read about this on the Fedora 25 forums. If you place this code line in Startup Applications, that will give the effect of permanence.
    - N.C. Weber
    Curator of the Afrodiseum
    http://ncweber.deviantart.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

New display problem in Artful ...

I have a third desktop monitor connected through a USB box

Under Mint, it was very laggy, so much so that I turned off that monitor. But, it worked fine under Zesty.

Now under Artful, turning on that monitor caused Ubuntu to crash the display, forcing me to restart. So, things have gone from bad to worse.

I did also notice that attempting to run Gnome-Commander as Root failed -- but I see there is a thread at the beginning of this section about new Root problems with Artful. In my case, installing "gksu" fixed that problem.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

good night that seems like a pretty serious bug, i just nuked my install after several hours of setup once i realized root wasn't working, thought i fat fingered the setup. at least it's a free OS.

Let me state that the root bug is present in Lubuntu as well but, no display problems so far being as it's LXDE and X. HOWEVER "xhost +si:localuser:root" doens't appear to resolve the problem.
    Last edited by cdoublejj; October 27th, 2017 at 08:43 AM.

Beans

Apparently, after a recent update, there has been an issue with users logging in and getting past the login screen into the actual session. A solution to get into the system, albeit ridding any applied preferences, use:

rm -rf /home/yourusername/.config/dconf/user

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast