Thread: Backspace will only delete one character at a time sense the new 17.10 update...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Backspace will only delete one character at a time sense the new 17.10 update...

Backspace will only delete one character at a time sense the new 17.10 update of Ubuntu. How do I fix this? Also, the up and down arrow only lets me scroll up or down just once. I can't get it to keep scrolling when I hold down the buttons.
    Last edited by 1jarwolf; October 22nd, 2017 at 06:32 AM.
    Sometimes letting things go is an act of far greater power than defending or hanging on.”

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Backspace will only delete one character at a time sense the new 17.10 update...

In a bash shell, use <cntl>-w to delete a word at a time to the left. The shell can be customized to do anything you like, btw.
    I don't use non-LTS distros, so cannot say that I really understand what you are describing. After all, the bckspc key is supposed to only delete 1 character at a time, right?

Beans

Re: Backspace will only delete one character at a time sense the new 17.10 update...

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    ..., the bckspc key is supposed to only delete 1 character at a time, right?
    True, but if the backspace key is held down, characters to the left should continuously be deleted. I'm guessing that that is not happening for OP

Beans
    Distro

Correct, it is not continuously deleting letters. Now, I have noticed, it is not just the backspace key but all of the keys on the keyboard that will not continuously type if I hold a key down.
    Sometimes letting things go is an act of far greater power than defending or hanging on.”

Beans

At least two other people have seen this issue with autorepeat.
    It's not something I've experienced but I did happen across this thread earlier: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2373775
    It may at least help to know that others have seen the issue and one may eventually find a fix.
    Last edited by The Cog; October 22nd, 2017 at 10:35 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've seen this non-repeat happen when someone enabled a keyboard for "accessibility" - don't know if that is the issue, just a thought.

Beans
    Distro

I don't think its for the accessibility keyboard as I have it disabled and it still works.

Alright, I have read through the other thread and added that I am having the same issue and I pasted my computer specs. Sense there is already a thread with more responses, should I just close this thread and watch over that one?
    Last edited by 1jarwolf; October 23rd, 2017 at 04:04 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 1jarwolf View Post
    ... should I just close this thread and watch over that one?
    If you want this thread closed, please confirm. We'll do it.

You can use the report button to do so.
    Last edited by vasa1; October 23rd, 2017 at 04:26 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Closed at OP's request.