Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Webupd8, PPA for Oracle Java8, 404, error exit

Beans

Re: Webupd8, PPA for Oracle Java8, 404, error exit

So obviously everyone is facing this issue. We appreciate the workaround. Any idea how long an update will take? My issue is that I am using vagrant images, which are built on the fly, and a manual workaround will not suffice. Any info?

Beans

This workaround worked for me, thanks!

Will updates still work automatically after this workaround, or do I have to install the fixed package again when it becomes officially available to the repository?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

The info is this --

webupd8 is one guy: Andrew. Andrew is very meticulous and very busy. He generously volunteers his time to provide a lot of very useful packages via his PPAs (Personal Package Archives, not "official repositories") and we all owe him some modicum of respect and gratitude.

I've contacted him a few times and he has been gracious and very quick to address issues. I'm sure he is well aware of this one. Just so you are all aware, the Java "package" from webupd8 is a group of scripts that automate the process of installing Java from Oracle's website. Oracle does not allow anyone to host the actual binaries. So if they do something -- for instance changing the urls even slightly -- Andrew's scripts will fail until he has the opportunity to update them.

Andrew has a real life like all the rest of us. He may very well be taking a well-deserved vacation.

You may rest assured that a fix will be available when he has time to provide it. Please have a bit of patience and don't swamp him with questions about ETAs. Give a hard-working fellow a break.
    Last edited by QIII; October 20th, 2017 at 07:32 AM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Thanks for the info. I did not know that Oracle's Java is such a mess on Ubuntu Linux. Sounds like Oracle is not really caring to support Linux at all.

I would use OpenJDK, but a product that we use in our production servers officially supports only Oracle Java.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Oracle Java is not a mess on Ubuntu. There is simply some minor and temporary issue in Andrew's PPA. Since his PPA only automates the manual steps involved in installing Oracle Java, Oracle Java can be installed manually for now. The nice thing about webupd8 is that Andrew updates his work in such a way that you don't have to install manually every time Oracle puts out a new release. You just do your normal updates.

If something you use depends specifically on Oracle Java, then something is amiss. By Oracle's own decree, OpenJDK is the open source reference implementation for all things Java -- including Oracle Java. The biggest contingent of developers of OpenJDK is composed of Oracle developers. That is, if Oracle Java works, OpenJDK should. If it doesn't, someone who is developing Java products is not aware of how that fits together and should not be designing things so that only Oracle Java works. OpenJDK dictates how Oracle Java should work -- aside from some possibly proprietary OS-specific features.
    Last edited by QIII; October 20th, 2017 at 07:53 AM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

I appreciate Andrew's work, I did not mean to imply that what he does or does not do is a mess. But I find Oracle's lack of interest to host their Java in some public repository to be a mess. The way they officially want us to install and update Java is a mess. I think the situation that for us to have automated install and updates of Oracle Java is all depended on one's volunteer work and free time, is really a mess.

Offtopic: Software we use is third party, and their documentation strictly only mentions Oracle Java. I have succesfully ran in on OpenJDK, but in our production we simply can't take the risk that if something goes wrong, they might refuse to give us support that we are paying for.

Beans

I'm having the same problem when I try to create a container in docker.
    here is an alternative alternative for those who need to install java in containers

Code:
    # install java via wget site oficial oracle
    # note: JAVA_FILE_TAR, JAVA_URL_DOWNLOAD and JAVA_DIR  must be entered manually
    ENV JAVA_FILE_TAR jdk-8u151-linux-x64.tar.gz
    ENV JAVA_URL_DOWNLOAD "http://download.oracle.com/otn-pub/java/jdk/8u151-b12/e758a0de34e24606bca991d704f6dcbf/${JAVA_FILE_TAR}"
    ENV JAVA_DIR jdk1.8.0_151

# download and extract tar
    RUN cd /opt  && wget -q --no-check-certificate -c --header "Cookie: oraclelicense=accept-securebackup-cookie" ${JAVA_URL_DOWNLOAD} \
      && tar zxvf ${JAVA_FILE_TAR} && pwd && ls -la \
       # set default java
      && update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/java java /opt/${JAVA_DIR}/bin/java 1 \
      && update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/javac javac /opt/${JAVA_DIR}/bin/javac 1 \
      && update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/jar jar /opt/${JAVA_DIR}/bin/jar 1 \
       # set temp env vars
      && export JAVA_HOME=/opt/${JAVA_DIR} \
      && export PATH=$PATH:/opt/${JAVA_DIR}/bin:/opt/${JAVA_DIR}/jre/bin \
      && echo "export JAVA_HOME=/opt/${JAVA_DIR}" >> /etc/environment \
      && echo "export PATH=$PATH:/opt/${JAVA_DIR}/bin:/opt/${JAVA_DIR}/jre/bin" >> /etc/environment \
      && ls /opt/${JAVA_DIR} > /dev/null 2>&1

I hope it helps!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by g1zmo2 View Post
    As a temporary workaround I've patched installer:

Code:
    sudo sed -i 's|JAVA_VERSION=8u144|JAVA_VERSION=8u152|' oracle-java8-installer.*
    sudo sed -i  's|PARTNER_URL=http://download.oracle.com/otn-pub/java/jdk/8u144-b01/090f390dda5b47b9b721c7dfaa008135/|PARTNER_URL=http://download.oracle.com/otn-pub/java/jdk/8u152-b16/aa0333dd3019491ca4f6ddbe78cdb6d0/|'  oracle-java8-installer.*
    sudo sed -i  's|SHA256SUM_TGZ="e8a341ce566f32c3d06f6d0f0eeea9a0f434f538d22af949ae58bc86f2eeaae4"|SHA256SUM_TGZ="218b3b340c3f6d05d940b817d0270dfe0cfd657a636bad074dcabe0c111961bf"|'  oracle-java8-installer.*
    sudo sed -i 's|J_DIR=jdk1.8.0_144|J_DIR=jdk1.8.0_152|' oracle-java8-installer.*
    Quote Originally Posted by polentino911 View Post
    for anybody wondering from where those commands should be executed:
    Code:
    cd /var/lib/dpkg/info
    that did the trick for me, thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

The PPA has been updated within the last hour & is installing the latest version, for me that's Java 8u151.

Beans

Post Re: Webupd8, PPA for Oracle Java8, 404, error exit

[QUOTE = harry_i_c; 13700489] O PPA foi atualizado na última hora e está instalando a versão mais recente, para mim, isso é Java 8u151. [/ QUOTE]

today? 20.10.2017?I'm trying to use the would ask for help with the commands with the error for me on ubuntu server 14.04, I'll try through the PPA one more time then ...Atttoday? 20.10.2017?I'm trying to use the would ask for help with the commands with the error for me on ubuntu server 14.04, I'll try through the PPA one more time then ...Att
    Last edited by shurato1982; October 20th, 2017 at 11:42 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast