Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The system freeze without reason

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: The system freeze without reason

freeze is often caused by bad hardware. often GPU or another component overheating.

you can check dmesg (the old one) and other logs for any reported errors.

you can also install psensor, so you can monitor the components temperature with a graphical interface.

if all these still fail to show what is causing troubles i suggest a stress test such as those available on UltimatebootCD or similar rescue disks.

if you think vivaldi itself is causing the issue you can also run it form terminal and output the possible errors to a file. but for example i am using Chromium on Kubuntu, because Firefox (otherwise my go to browser) suddenly had issues. it didn't crash the system but it did slow it down and made other problems (crashing components).
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

Well, after almost a week with works a kernal 4.10.0-37 I should tell I didn't any problems with pc freeze. But, today, when I run a virtual machine through virtualbox with 80% my ram dedicate to this virtual machine my system freeze. I can't opened terminal to find the PID relative of the task to kill this.

What should I do in this situation?

Thanks

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    freeze is often caused by bad hardware. often GPU or another component overheating.

you can check dmesg (the old one) and other logs for any reported errors.

you can also install psensor, so you can monitor the components temperature with a graphical interface.

if all these still fail to show what is causing troubles i suggest a stress test such as those available on UltimatebootCD or similar rescue disks.

if you think vivaldi itself is causing the issue you can also run it form terminal and output the possible errors to a file. but for example i am using Chromium on Kubuntu, because Firefox (otherwise my go to browser) suddenly had issues. it didn't crash the system but it did slow it down and made other problems (crashing components).
    My setup it is new. And the temperature it is ok, for example right now this is scenario:
    $ free -mh
    total used free shared buff/cache available
    Mem: 7,7G 3,5G 1,0G 402M 3,1G 3,4G
    Swap: 0B 0B 0B

$ sensors
    coretemp-isa-0000
    Adapter: ISA adapter
    Package id 0: +36.0°C (high = +80.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
    Core 0: +35.0°C (high = +80.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
    Core 1: +35.0°C (high = +80.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
    Core 2: +36.0°C (high = +80.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
    Core 3: +34.0°C (high = +80.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

acpitz-virtual-0
    Adapter: Virtual device
    temp1: +27.8°C (crit = +119.0°C)
    temp2: +29.8°C (crit = +119.0°C)

asus-isa-0000
    Adapter: ISA adapter
    cpu_fan: 0 RPM

$ uptime -p
    up 27 minutes

Note:
    half an hour ago I need restart my system because the SO freeze
    I will learn more about dmesg to know I should I interpret the reports!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

One thing you could try to prevent the freeze is to run the virtual machine with less RAM. You gave it 80%? Why? That leaves your host OS with 20% of your RAM to use to run whatever you have running (Firefox is open in the host as well, yes?), Virtualbox and a virtual machine running in it with whatever programs you have open in the VM.

For clarity and to refresh; is the only time your system freezes when you are trying to run a VM with 80% RAM given to it? Also, I may have missed it, but how much physical RAM do you have installed in the machine?
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; October 28th, 2017 at 04:39 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    One thing you could try to prevent the freeze is to run the virtual machine with less RAM. You gave it 80%? Why? That leaves your host OS with 20% of your RAM to use to run whatever you have running (Firefox is open in the host as well, yes?), Virtualbox and a virtual machine running in it with whatever programs you have open in the VM.

For clarity and to refresh; is the only time your system freezes when you are trying to run a VM with 80% RAM given to it? Also, I may have missed it, but how much physical RAM do you have installed in the machine?
    Thanks to your help

This is my fault. Choose 80%, from my 8Gb ram to only virtualbox. I adjust the ram to vm, and now have only 2GB and remaining, 6GB, dedicated to my host. This freeze, or better, the system gets very slow, occur when, for example, when I use virtuabl box with 80% dedicated to the virtual machine, or when I ran X-Plane 11 (http://www.x-plane.com).

Exist a way to unlock machine on this situation? Without having the need push physic button restart? Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Perhaps knowing the hardware specs can shed some light.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

My setup is:

Asus Prime B250-Pro
    8Gb Ram Kingston
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7500 CPU @ 3.40G
    Two disk 120Gb Kingston V300

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    I'm on 16.04.3 as well:
    Code:
    $ uname -a
    Linux aes-Inspiron-15-3567 4.10.0-37-generic #41~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Fri Oct 6 22:42:59 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux                       
    $ lsb_release -a                                                                                                                          
    No LSB modules are available.                                                                                                                        
    Distributor ID: Ubuntu                                                                                                                               
    Description:    Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS                                                                                                                   
    Release:        16.04                                                                                                                                
    Codename:       xenial                                                                                                                               
    $
    And I haven't installed any kernel by myself. Those users who start with a clean install of 16.04 (original) and keep on upgrading will have the kernel version you have.
    Those who install from 16.04.2 or 16.04.3 and keep on upgrading will have higher kernel versions. See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack
    Interesting. I didn't know this. I keep the original ISO and have been updating all along and I now have:
    Code:
    $ uname -r  4.4.0-98-generic
    I guess I need to use the latest ISO. Even though I don't understand the reasoning. I thought as long as you keep current all updates would apply to LTS.
    Last edited by VMC; October 30th, 2017 at 03:54 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    I am running 16.04.3 and it is currently using 4.4.0-97-generic. Reboot, select that kernel from the options list and see if you get the same issues. If not, it's the kernel. If so, time to dig deeper.
    Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    I'm on 16.04.3 as well:
    Code:
    $ uname -a
    Linux aes-Inspiron-15-3567 4.10.0-37-generic #41~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Fri Oct 6 22:42:59 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux                       
    $ lsb_release -a                                                                                                                          
    No LSB modules are available.                                                                                                                        
    Distributor ID: Ubuntu                                                                                                                               
    Description:    Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS                                                                                                                   
    Release:        16.04                                                                                                                                
    Codename:       xenial                                                                                                                             
    $
    And I haven't installed any kernel by myself. Those users who start with a clean install of 16.04 (original) and keep on upgrading will have the kernel version you have.
    Those who install from 16.04.2 or 16.04.3 and keep on upgrading will have higher kernel versions. See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack
    Something strange is going on here. My original is like Bucky's. (4.4.0-98-generic). I recently installed latest ISO and I too am having freezes. Obliviously its kernel related, but Artful has an even higher kernel and my system doesn't freeze at all?!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12